'Blues Clues Live!' to delight, teach children at Auditorium

Children will comprise most of the audience at the latest stage production to visit Bloomington.\nThe IU Auditorium will present the critically acclaimed "Blues Clues Live!" today and Wednesday. \nThe stage presentation for preschoolers, has revolutionized children's theater and will be presented for the first time in Bloomington. \nBased on Nickelodeon's hit preschool series "Blues Clues," the tour is scheduled to perform in 40 markets across the United States and Canada.\nThe television show has entertained and educated preschoolers for years.\n"The program is definitely educational in nature and improves their problem-solving and intellectual capabilities," said continuing studies student Vivian Coffey, mother of an 8-year-old.\nThe television show helps children solve problems by providing various clues and teaches them important values such as trust and friendship.\nThe theatrical production attempts to meet the same objectives while serving as an introduction to theater. \n"I think the greatest thing about the show is that it is a chance to expose small kids to live theater. It has been the mission of the cast, crew and producers of this show to make it a truly theatrical experience," said Tom Mizer, who plays Steve.\nThe creators of the stage production attempt to do this with live singing, creative design elements, exciting puppetry and Broadway-style musical numbers. Mizer said educating children in the art of theater is crucial in contemporary American culture. \n"In a VCR culture, it is imperative that we start encouraging live theater at a young age," Mizer said. The biggest difference between the TV show and the theatrical production is the scale of the medium. On television, Steve (the host of the show) is close and intimate, but Mizer said, "I'm on a 30-foot stage with kids watching from a balcony. This means I get to be wilder, bigger and more playful … not to mention that I get to dance and sing more."\nAnother difference is that on stage Steve can and will respond to the audience.\n"It is truly interactive," Mizer said.\nThe production promises to be a unique experience for both parents and children. \n"The show will present something that the children have seen before. It is very interactive and will hopefully make a lot of kids into lifelong theater-goers," spokesman John Tellem said.\n"Blues Clues Live!" will play at 7 p.m. today and 10:30 a.m. and 7 p.m. Wednesday at the IU Auditorium. General admission tickets cost $25 for orchestra and $15 for balcony seats, and student tickets are $12.50 and $7.50. Tickets are available at the Auditorium box office.