Taken out with the trash

My eyes burning will probably be the one thing I never forget. I'm not sure if there is any pain like it. It's tough to put into words how it felt, but I can tell you one thing: it really hurt.\nMy weekend was interesting up to that point. I had visited some friends at another school, and I was sleeping on the couch in their living room.\nAt about 5 a.m., I woke up because something had hit me square in the face. It felt like a beer bottle, but that was my groggy assessment. It took me about three seconds to realize an open bag of trash had landed on my head, along with that beer bottle.\nIt was sort of strange, because I was still a bit clueless about what was going on. What I later pieced together was some guys who I had never met had come in the unlocked front door, and thought throwing a bag of trash at me would be fun.\nI'm not sure if my attackers knew there was a bottle of hot sauce in the bag (they probably did), but the liquid did get in my eyes. When I washed it off my face, I couldn't help but also get water into my eyes, and I don't know if they have ever hurt so bad in my life.\nSleeping was definitely out of the question, because it felt like there were enough paper cuts on my eyes to eliminate the whites. I got up, found a new spot to sleep in and thought about what just happened to me.\nThis situation was a tough one because I usually like to think things happen for a reason. The only conclusions I found for this particular scenario were all pointing at me. My own messed up logic said this was somehow my fault.\nI started thinking about karma, and I figured maybe I deserved what happened to me. I thought about whether I had held the door open long enough for a stranger, or if I had been kind to the last person I talked to.\nThese were the type of thoughts I had running in my head for about an hour, until I eventually made it to the place I was dreading to go.\nThe cold, bone-chilling truth I didn't want to think about was that some people are just mean.\nWe all eventually have a realization like this, but I never thought it would happen to me, at least not this early in life. I have based my beliefs on trying to find the good in people or to attempt to see a perspective that is not my own.\nBut the bottom line to everything I believed was that people would eventually feel remorse if they did something terrible. I'm not so sure this is true anymore.\nSome people do things without thinking about the other people involved. Some people do things at the expense of others because they think it is funny. Some people throw a bag of trash at the kid with the idealistic heart.\nWhile it might seem I'm making a big deal out of nothing, this is just the last in a series of bad events. The other big event was when I was robbed a few years ago. That's when my doubts about the nature of humankind took me up to the cliff. The events of this past weekend just gave me the push I needed. \nI do encourage all of you to find the good in this world. It's out there. It's just been beaten and kicked around a little bit.\nI truly hope the events of your life will lead you in the right direction. But if you ever feel lost in you struggle against the evils of this world, don't try to follow me.\nMy map with the idealistic directions was taken out with the trash.