Seniors honored after last home game

Honegger, Alting give emotion-filled speeches as final farewell to fans

Kathi Bennett spoke. Rachael Honegger cried. Rainey Alting wiped tears from her face.\nAlting took the microphone and cried. Heather Cassady sat on the bench, head in her hands.\nWhen Honegger spoke, no one could keep their eyes dry. On the most emotional day of the year -- emblazoned with its most important game -- IU soared and sputtered with its emotions in its 54-50 loss to Illinois.\n"Remember how loyal you are to the vision," Bennett said to the seniors in a ceremony after the game. "You are why the adventure has been so wonderful."\nOn Senior Night -- her last game in Assembly Hall -- Honegger returned to the court for the first time since Feb. 8. In 14 minutes, she scored two points. The bucket came in her first 10 seconds in the game. \nAfter the game, a loss that cost the Hoosiers a first-round bye in Big Ten tournament, Honegger thanked nearly everyone. Always prepared, Honegger read off 3-by-5 index cards in front of Assembly Hall's 1,671 fans.\n"I want to thank athletics director Clarence Doninger for his strength and support the last few weeks," Honegger said.\nHonegger thanked her parents, her fiancee, Chad, and her 18-month old son, Isaiah.\n"I want to thank my son," Honegger said, losing control of her tears. "He has taught me there's so much more to life than basketball."\nHonegger finished to a loud applause, returning to hold Isaiah as the ceremony continued.\nAlting, who struggled from the field on 1-for-7 shooting, kept her warm-up in her face during much of her talk.\nAlting provided the few laughs during the emotional, somber senior night.\n"I'd be here all night if I tried to thank everyone. I can't talk anymore," Alting said, leaving the microphone. But she returned with more to say.\n"Oh, I forgot my teammates."\nThose teammates took front and center to thank Alting and Honegger for the leadership and emotional fire they brought to the team.\nJunior forward Jill Chapman and Cassady, a junior guard, presented the seniors with photo albums documenting the unbelievable road the two had traveled in their short college careers.\nBut that trip isn't over yet, Chapman said.\n"We've fought so hard," she said. "But we've got a long way to go. Let's keep going."\nAlting and Honegger have seen and done a lot in their college careers. Alting has played at two colleges and for three coaches, while Honegger has experienced the joy of a son and the sadness of suspension.\nIt culminated Thursday night. And the players' faces showed the wear of the journey. \n"This coach and this coaching staff and your teammates would give anything to have you here longer," Bennett said. "We love you"