Michigan Big Ten's best

Hoosiers place third in championship meet in home water

Claire Tousley of Zionsville said her mom decided it would be a good idea to take her to the Women's Big Ten Swimming and Diving Championships. Tousley, an elementary school student and swimmer, said she likes going fast.\nTousley was likely smiling Saturday night, the final night of the three-day event. She did get to see quick swimming -- IU raced to a third-place finish, Penn State jumped to a quick lead but couldn't swim fast enough to hold on for the win and Michigan took the title.\nAfter Friday night in Counsilman Billingsley Aquatic Center, Penn State had a 10-point lead. But Michigan would not be outdone, coming back to win on the meet's final night.\nIn the first event Saturday, Michigan freshmen Emily Fenn and Lori Eberwein finished fourth and fifth respectively in the 1650-yard freestyle, giving the Wolverines a 451-425 advantage. They never trailed again, and won the Big Ten Championships with 582 points. Defending champion Minnesota finished sixth.\nHighlights for the Wolverines included a victory in the 400 freestyle relay. Seniors Jennifer Crisman and Missy Sugar teamed with freshmen Anne Weilbacher and Samantha Arsenault to win the race. The time might earn them a shot at the NCAA Championships at Nassau County Aquatic Center in Long Island, N.Y., March 15-17. Arsenault, an Olympic gold medalist in the 800 free relay, said you can't really compare the two experiences. \n"Our win was a whole team effort," she said. "Michigan has a whole lot of pride. Lots of alumni come to watch us swim, and we feel proud to represent them."\nIU finished with 460.5 points -- the best finish for the Hoosiers since 1982. Coach Dorsey Tierney was named Big Ten Coach of the Year, and said the Hoosiers' success can be attributed to a solid work ethic and leadership. \n"This is a year when the team really came together as a group," Tierney said. "Our senior class has great leadership. Now we have to get back to work and get ready for nationals. This is a goal-oriented team. Our goal was to get 450 points."\nIU exceeded Tierney's goal, setting 16 school records. IU also had four All-Big Ten selections, and set 36 personal records. \nSenior Jenn Cristy was selected as Big Ten Swimmer of the Championships. \nPenn State's Kristen Woodring was named Big Ten Freshman of the Year. Woodring swam the 400 medley relay for the Nittany Lions, then swam on Penn State's NCAA-qualifying 200 medley relay squad. She also made her way to the NCAAs individually in the 100 breaststroke with a time of 59.77, shattering the Big Ten record, and qualifying for the NCAAs by an impressive 2.56 seconds. She also made her way to Long Island with teammate Corrie Clark, also a freshman. \nNorthwestern senior Tashy Bohm made her presence known by winning the 200 backstroke for the third time in a row. \n"I went out there to win it. It's my senior year, and I wanted to go out with a bang," she said. "When I saw my time I couldn't believe it. I can't wait for nationals."\nAlso making noise was Wisconsin senior Ellen Stonebraker. She was named Big Ten Swimmer of the Year, winning both the 200- and 500-yard freestyles. \n"I was very surprised to be named swimmer of the year," she said. "I wanted to finish the Big Tens strong; it will help us get ready for nationals." \nAthletics Director Clarence Doninger, who made an appearance at the meet Saturday, said he was happy with the way the three-day event unfolded. \n"Overall, the meet went very well," he said. "Dorsey (Tierney) did a fantastic job. I am very pleased"