Saturday, June 1

Wrestlers look to tame conference

5 Big Ten teams ranked in top 10; IU 23rd in country

The wrestling team will carry an overall record of 10-2 into this weekend. It's a record with which even the most pessimistic of college athletes would be happy. \nBut you won't find any Hoosiers gloating about their winning percentage. They know numbers mean nothing in the Big Ten, by far the top conference in college wrestling.\n"Every year, it makes for a tough schedule," senior Kevin Stanley said. \nThe 165-pounder has racked up a 92-32 career record, but is only 15-10 in Big Ten action. \n"Year in and year out, it's the strongest conference. If you're ranked high in the Big Ten, you're going to be ranked high nationally. If you compete for the Big Ten title, you're probably going to win the NCAA title, too."\nThis year, the Big Ten boasts five teams nationally ranked in the top 10, including top seed Minnesota. IU ranks 23rd. Northwestern is the only team with a losing record, while Michigan State and Illinois remain undefeated. Six of the 10 top-ranked individual wrestlers are Big Ten athletes.\n"It's the premier conference in the country, without a doubt," coach Duane Goldman said. "The top kids in the country want to wrestle the other top kids in the country. In order to do that, you have to come to the Big Ten. It's always been that way."\nGoldman is no stranger to Big Ten competition. As a collegiate wrestler, he was part of four Big Ten championships with Iowa, and was a four-time NCAA All-American. \n"It's even stronger than it was when I was wrestling," Goldman said. "It's got the most national champions and the most All-Americans."\nGoldman's alma mater has played an integral role in the overall development of Big Ten wrestling. The Hawkeyes have won 20 national titles in the last 25 years, and have produced some of the better coaches in college wrestling.\n"It seems like all the coaches in the Big Ten have some type of Iowa background, whether as a wrestler or a coach," said Mike Dixon, a senior. "They get their own program at a different school and develop it."\nDixon said he believes part of the reason for the Big Ten's superiority is a difference in style. \n"You look at the guys we wrestle out west and there's a huge difference. We tend to hammer those guys," Dixon said. "It's a more in-your-face style; it's rougher. Iowa taught that. All the coaches have been through there, and they pass it on."\nGoldman attributes much of the Big Ten's success to Iowa alumni, but said it might be time for someone else to step up and take the crown from the Hawkeyes.\n"Iowa's struggling in the heavier weights, and four of their top five guys are seniors," Goldman said. "I don't want to make any predictions, but it'll be interesting to see what happens to them. Minnesota, Illinois and Michigan are right behind them. Us, too."\nIllinois proved its case with a convincing victory last weekend in which it sent the 23rd-ranked Hoosiers home without a win. The Hoosiers will have another chance to establish themselves this weekend against 15th-ranked Ohio State before matches against Minnesota, Michigan, Northwestern, Michigan State and Wisconsin. The Hoosiers are anxious to compete and earn respect in this unforgiving conference.\n"We could finish close to the top," Stanley said. "We have the talent. If everybody wrestles the way they should, we should finish in the top five of the Big Ten easily. If you can do that, you're looking at being ranked top 10 in the nation"