Teachers, parents win fight for better pay

Child care workers get benefits, raises

The University announced this week it will raise the salaries of its 20 child care workers. IU will more than double its subsidy to its child care programs, funding an additional $90,000 a year to teachers at the day care centers. \nThe salaries of the 10 assistant teachers will be raised to a minimum of $18,700. The 10 head teachers salaries will be raised to a minimum of $20,800. Four assistant teachers who had been hourly employees will become appointed employees with full University benefits.\nWe're thrilled,said Steven Ashby, assistant professor of labor studies. I'm proud of my University. Ashby said parents first began organizing in support of raises in June, when a handful of parents realized how low the wages of their children's teachers were.\nBloomington Chancellor Kenneth Gros Louis assigned Associate Vice Chancellor Bruce Jacobs to work with parents on the issue. The two groups met throughout the fall.\nThe process was pretty simple. They indicated they would like to see us work on something,Jacobs said. What they asked for was a general raise, and we are doing it in two parts.\nThe first phase of the pay increase begins now; the next part comes July 1, Jacobs said. \nAndrea Wohl, a parent, praised the University for the move.\nI think it's amazing, wonderful and reaffirms our faith that people will do the right thing,Wohl said. It was sort of a moral issue for us as parents, and we were just happy to see the University felt the same way.\nOct. 30, child-care employees, parents, students and concerned community members rallied for higher wages and benefits for these employees. The event, organized by an ad hoc committee of parents and teachers, wanted to draw attention to the low pay at the child care centers.\nWohl, one of the few parents not associated with the University, emphasized that University teachers still make less then some teachers. \nWe're extremely satisfied, but it would be greater if we could make as much money as Monroe County (teachers),Wohl said. A Monroe kindergarten teacher makes $5,000 more than a University preschool teacher. The more the teachers make, the happier they are and the happier the kids are, and that's what it's all about.\nJacobs said he was pleased with the outcome of the collaboration between parents and the administration.\nI'm glad this was able to work out, Jacobs said. I know the chancellor was very supportive of it. It was the right thing to do for everyone involved.