Money will be used to improve roads

Driving in Monroe County will soon cost a bit more.\nThe Monroe County Commissioners voted unanimously Dec. 13 to increase the county vehicle excise surtax. County highway engineer Bill Williams requested the hike, which will make the minimum annual excise surtax $7.50 in 2002. \nThere was no debate about the matter. Council president David Hamilton, a Democrat, said a user-based tax doesn't ruffle many feathers.\n"It should not be a big deal," he said. "But I was sure someone would protest a tax increase."\nThe county ordinance had set no minimum amount for the excise surtax, which pays for road and highway repairs. By statute, the county vehicle excise surtax is 10 percent of a vehicle's annual state vehicle excise tax. \nBut the 1980 state law also set a minimum of $7.50 for the tax, even if it's more than 10 percent. The state makes exceptions for government and church vehicles.\nCouncil attorney Steve Galvin said not imposing the tax for the past 18 years has cost the county more than $2 million in street repair money. Most of the 92 Indiana counties haven't taken advantage of the statute, although most complain of lacking funds for road maintenance. Monroe is now one of 23 counties to impose the surtax, which applies to vehicles weighing fewer than 11,000 pounds. \nVehicles weighing more than 11,000 pounds, such as buses and trucks, pay a $5 "wheel tax." Democrat Mark Stoops said he plans to propose an increase to the wheel tax, noting that heavier vehicles cause more damage to roads.\nIn Monroe County, the excise surtax brings in more than $667,000, Williams said. It's divided among the municipalities of Bloomington, Ellettsville and Stinesville. \n"It will help the department get away from the patchwork approach to paving roads," said Monroe County highway superintendent John Chambers. \nAccording to July figures from the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles, 44,533 of the 81,691 surtax-liable vehicles in Monroe County pay less than $7.50. \n"We collect an average of $1.78 from those vehicles per year," Williams said.\n With the average increase of $5.72 per vehicle per year, Williams said the county would receive an added $254,673 in revenue for road maintenance. Bloomington will receive 42 percent of the added windfall, while Monroe County will reap 55 percent, or about $140,000.\nWilliams said those affected will pay about a cent a day during the course of a year.