Joseph S. Pete

Candidates jockey for vacated council seat

Monroe County Prosecutor-elect Chris Gaal is leaving his at-large City Council seat up for grabs among Democrats in January when he assumes his new office. A past council candidate and an economics professor have already declared their candidacies, and more are expected to contend to fill the soon-to-be-vacated seat, which comes up for election in November 2007.

1 month remaining to register to vote

The voter registration deadline is quickly approaching for this year's general election. The last day citizens can register to vote in Indiana is Tuesday, Oct. 10. Residents who voted in Monroe County during the last election and have not since changed their addresses retain their eligibility and simply have to show up at their precinct polling place Nov. 7 or cast an absentee ballot by Nov. 6.

Pizza Express embroiled in legal battle

Jeff Mease feels burned. Mease, founder and CEO of the popular local chain Pizza Express, finds his business ensnared in a legal tangle with an Indianapolis-based business partner. The two companies have each filed dueling lawsuits in federal court.

Local pantries plan food drive to address donation shortages

Monroe County United Ministries is soliciting volunteers for a major food drive planned for the weekend leading into the fall semester. It seeks 100 volunteers to man booths taking donations outside most supermarkets in Bloomington and Ellettsville. The nonprofit organization needs to meet a target of 118 pounds of food at the risk of further reduced services. Like many area pantries, United Ministries has seen a recent surge in demand from working families requesting temporary food assistance. Since 2004, demand has shot up 72 percent while donations have risen only slightly.

Enterprising junior urges students to get baked

While riding out a shift as a Circuit City floor salesman his senior year of high school, Jared Schneider realized he'd like to be able to wear shorts to work if he felt so inclined. He realized he wanted to work for himself. He's not waiting on a bachelor's degree. By late July, the 19-year-old junior plans to open Baked! of Bloomington, a downtown cookie delivery store. Schneider touts freshly baked cookies straight out of the oven as an alternative to yet another pizza or sub. To be open until 3 a.m. weekends, the store offers as its signature special the "Hot Box:" a baker's dozen with a quart of milk for $11. Selling freshness, Schneider promises that dough won't touch tin until the order is completed.

More articles »

Local activist Greg Garvey participates in a protest at the downtown Bloomington post office, 206 E. Fourth St., Monday evening. Garvey said he takes offense at a federal subsidy to Herman and Associates, an Indianapolis developer building a low-income housing complex on Bloomington woodlands.

More media »