Detroit man pleads guilty in shooting

Cox takes plea in Sept. 23 killing of woman on south side

In exchange for the dismissal of a murder charge, Gregory K. Cox pleaded guilty to two counts of attempted murder Thursday.\nThe plea bargain agreement dictates a sentence of 75 years in prison, with 15 suspended.\nThe Monroe County Prosecutor's Office charged the 34-year-old Detroit resident with murder in connection with the Sept. 23 shootings at the former Country Club Apartments at 1004 W. Country Club Lane. Police described the shootings as "drug-related."\nThe victims testified that Cox entered the apartment and started firing, police said. Called in at about 10:20 a.m., police found Illinois resident Sherry King, 44, dead on the scene. Three Bloomington residents, James A. Crouch, 19, Randy Osmer, 18, and Karin Koonce, 18, were wounded by gunfire. At the time of the shooting, Koonce was six weeks pregnant.\nThey were all shortly released from the Bloomington Hospital in good condition, said Lisa Aldridge, patient care director.\nPolice arrested Cox at a home on South Rogers Street, where he had gone with two other young Detroit residents. The officers found a .32 caliber revolver, which they said was consistent with bullets and casings at the crime scene. More than three grams of crack cocaine were later discovered stashed in the back of the police car in which they were transported, according to police.\nThe investigation by the Sheriff's Department has not confirmed that the incident was a drug deal gone sour.\n"We know that drugs were a catalyst," said Sgt. Jerry Reed. "We know that they were on drugs, and drugs were involved. But beyond that, it would be inappropriate for me to comment."\nJudge Marc Kellams ordered them to leave town immediately for Detroit and not to return.\nCox has been held without bond in the Monroe County Correction Center since September. He was charged with one count of murder, three counts of attempted murder and one count of possession of more than three grams of cocaine with intent to distribute. \nIn court Thursday, Cox pleaded guilty to attempting to kill Crouch and Koontz.\nMonroe Circuit Court Judge David Welch accepted the plea agreement submitted by chief deputy prosecutor Mary Ellen Diekhoff and deputy public defender David Collins, under which the other charges were dropped.\nDiekhoff said a murder conviction would have been difficult because Cox was under the influence of drugs at the time, so she settled for a plea agreement to ensure a conviction.\nThe sentencing will take place Jan. 5. With 15 years suspended, Cox will serve two consecutive 35- and 40-year sentences. If he serves all of his time on good behavior, he'll be eligible for parole in 30 years, at the age of 64.