The truth about Myles Brand, part two

Are you wondering why Myles Brand is still president of IU when the University continues to fall apart?\nWhen Brand was due for his five-year review last year, his Board of Trustees hired one person, an outside consultant named Robert Atwell, to do it, the IDS reported.\nAtwell worked to work with Fred Steingraber, who was on the IU Foundation Board with Brand, according to the IDS.\nWilliam Baker, vice president of the University of California, was named to work with Atwell only after complaints.\nFaculty members at IU were outraged, the IDS reported. Normally a special committee is appointed to do the reviews. Now it was coming down to two people, one of whom worked with Brand's buddy. \nAs one faculty member told the IDS, "Having an outside evaluater who was reasonably removed from IU … and the amount of time -- were insufficient to allow students and faculty an opportunity to express their opinions." \nAtwell held only one open meeting for students and faculty to voice their concerns, on April 1. \nAnd what did Atwell find? He produced a 14-page report discussing Brand's administration in a favorable light. Go figure.\n"It is our considered and enthusiastic judgment that (IU) has been well-served by Brand and is most fortunate to be blessed with his leadership," the report stated. \nDuring an Oct. 6 Policy Committee meeting, Brand was asked about the measly 1 percent annual raise the faculty receives. Brand just emphasized faculty salaries are higher than state averages, according to the meeting minutes, available at www.indiana.edu/~coasinfo/coascommittee.shtml.\nHe is scheduled to get another 6 percent raise next year, no matter how poorly IU continues to do. Brand is making more than the U.S. president. \nAnd Brand's track record is anything but clean. \nLast year he signed an agreement to protect human rights by saying IU products would not be made using sweatshop labor. \nIn an Apr. 4, 1999 IDS article, Brand said: "We want Hoosier fans everywhere (to) wear their IU colors with pride … (knowing) that the workers who made those garments were treated fairly." \nHe then allowed Nike to sponsor our athletic programs, even though sources such as the Christian Science Monitor note Nike's sweatshop labor practices. \nChristopher Simpson, vice president for public affairs and government relations, is always talking about what a powerful package IU is. Simpson told the IDS, "IU is a tremendous value in terms of the very moderate cost." Then why did IU not rank as a "Best Value" for a Midwest college when 124 others did rank in U.S. News and World Report?\nThe flood gates have been opened. IU has an 86 percent acceptance rate according to Barron's. One 1972 IU graduate said, "(IU) used to be a top notch school and very difficult to get in." \nNot anymore. \nWe should be trying to raise the class-rank figures.\nBut even Brand seems to be confused. On IU's Sept. 15 Web page, he said, "I am pleased that (IU) continues to attract more and more well-qualified students." He told the IDS, "I believe the rising enrollments reflect the strong reputation of our academic programs."\nBut in an Oct. 6 Policy Committee meeting, Brand said that since enrollments have gone back up, it should be possible to concentrate more on the quality of the students we enroll. \nWhen questioned about IU's decline, Brand mentions the Schools of Music, Education and Business -- all in the top 10 in the country. He acts like he helped make them successful. \nIn actuality, it was the work of other IU presidents -- such as Herman B Wells -- who helped set the stage. \nBrand charges faculty who have raised questions about the decline of IU should do their homework. It appears they have. Brand's just reading a different book. It's titled My Perfect World.\nOne professor asked me, "What would happen to the manager or CEO of a business who didn't produce?" They'd be fired.\nBrand's trustees supported his efforts and re-appointed him. \nNow it's time for action. Brand and the administration must go.