Junior emerges into spotlight

Chapman earns Big Ten Player of the Week award

There's a new coach walking IU's sideline, but it's a new player that's getting all the attention.\nThe thing is, she's been here for three years.\nAlways a presence, junior Jill Chapman has taken her game up a level through six consecutive wins for the Hoosiers. And it's been noticed across the conference: the 6-5 center was named Big Ten Player of the Week. \n"I didn't know until I came into the training room today," Chapman said. "Everyone was like 'congratulations,' and I was like, 'for what.' I had no idea. It was kind of a shock."\nIn IU's 79-42 romp against Kent State last night, Chapman played only 20 minutes. But she was productive, scoring 10 points and grabbing 11 rebounds. She also had three assists and two blocks.\nThe numbers haven't changed too much for Chapman, who was averaging 13 points and nearly 10 rebounds per game coming into Tuesday's contest. Last season, Chapman averaged 16 points and eight boards per contest. \nThe difference might not be in the stat sheets, but the team agrees Chapman has grown as a player since new coach Kathi Bennett's arrival. \n"I tell you, she looks really good," Butler coach Wendy Gatlin said after Chapman thumped her team for 27 points and 18 rebounds last week. "She was always a menace down low, but she's doing a lot more now. She's running better. She's finishing better. She's seeing the floor better."\nBennett said she believes Chapman's improvement is based largely on making stronger moves to the basket. In the past, Chapman has relied on moves away from the basket, including a hook shot.\n"We've been trying to get her to attack the basket," Bennett said after the Butler game. "She's still using that hook a little more than we'd like, but she's definitely getting tougher down low." \nChapman credits her success so far this season to her mobility.\nAgainst the Flashes, Chapman twice made perfect passes after the Kent defense collapsed on her. Getting in first-half foul trouble, Chapman only played nine minutes, managing six rebounds and a lay-up.\nSeeing double teams whenever she gets the ball, Chapman has mixed her moves with precision passes, leading to easy IU buckets.\n"Jill was outstanding tonight," Bennett said. "She was completing passes and making strong counter moves to the basket"