Volleyball player provides inspiration, friendship

While cheering on her team from the sidelines, junior outside hitter Meghan Stout is constantly prepared. She knows she might be called to go into the game at any minute. There isn't a specific time or substitution that Stout enters at; it happens whenever the team needs her quickness or her serving ability.\n"Meghan is one of those people who excels at whatever she does," coach Katie Weismiller said. "She raises the intensity at every practice and at every match. She's really starting to come around all-around."\nLately, Stout's been called upon when the team needed an aggressive serve. That's when the crowd sees the petite, brown-haired defensive specialist enter the game. Standing on the right side of the court and bouncing the ball a trademark three times, Stout hopes for an ace.\nStout has appeared in 39 games and had eight aces. But she has made an impact not only on the service line. She's also been inspirational for the team off the court.\nStout missed spring practices for reasons she only describe as personal. She was at IU, but she didn't practice or play with the team. Stout rejoined the team for preseason and draws only positives from her experience.\n"I've learned a lot," Stout said. "I'm a lot stronger both mentally and physically. I'm just happy when I'm out on the floor. God's helped me through a lot of this, and I know He's a big reason why I've gotten back."\nStout is devoutly religious, and rather than keeping the inspiration to herself, she shares her motivation with her teammates.\nSenior outside hitter Amanda Welter has been having back problems, and Stout's been sending her e-mails of encouragement.\n"She's a special person to me on the team," Welter said. "She's someone I can go to to talk about everything. She's gone through a lot, and she stays upbeat through all of it. She just has an amazing personality."\nStout made freshman outside hitter Monique Pritz feel welcome from the start. On the first day of preseason, Pritz walked into the room she was sharing with Stout and found a present on her bed. The gift contained a candle and a Christian book.\n"I was surprised someone would be so nice to welcome me that way," Pritz said. "She talked to me a lot and gave me support. She's willing to help me in any way."\nStout spent her freshman year at the University of Kentucky. She played in 92 games and totaled 15 service aces. Stout transferred to IU because she was unhappy with the Kentucky team. She had to be taught the way IU plays volleyball and has been a quick learner, Weismiller said.\nStout started playing volleyball in the sixth grade in her hometown of Seymour, Ind. She continued to play volleyball through high school and was team captain her junior and senior years. She also won MVP honors on the track and field team.\nStout doesn't just save her athleticism for the court. On "off" days she hikes, bikes or runs. In the summer she loves to water-ski and tries to go snow skiing at least once during the winter.\nShe also attends Bible study on a regular basis. And if she isn't doing any of those hobbies, she can be found studying.\nBut her loyalties remain with the team. Although the team has lost its past three games, Stout has a positive attitude about the rest of the season.\n"I would do anything for this program," Stout said. "We have the ability to be really good, and everybody is working really hard. We don't need to peak yet, but our time is coming"