Throwing away dollars

My boyfriend loves the Indianapolis Colts. In fact, he loves them so much I know that, when Sunday rolls around, I have to be quiet for the afternoon, or go over to his apartment later, because nothing keeps him from watching Marvin Harrison run for a touchdown. \nBecause of his deep-rooted affection for the hometown team, I thought I would score some major girlfriend points and get him Colts tickets to the last home game of the season -- December 24 -- against the Minnesota Vikings. \nBut this task has been something of a challenge, as tickets are incredibly expensive for crappy seats. Believe me, nothing would give me more joy than seeing my boyfriend's face light up as his favorite team takes the field, but I don\'t want to spend what\'s left of my college fund to let him see it from the balcony. I would rather give him a ringside seat at home. \nI realize that these events are a high commodity and should demand a high price, but consumers shouldn't have to spend a lot of hard-earned money to sit in the nosebleeds. \nMy roommate got Dixie Chicks tickets for her birthday -- a pretty expensive gift. While she loved the show and the music, she told me unless you knew what they were singing, the sound drifted up and faded away by the time it got to them. \nWhile artists like Barbara Streisand can command $3,000 per ticket for her last performance, it should be noted that many of the patrons of her last show were celebrities who had millions of dollars. I don\'t think I have to tell Ticketmaster or one of the other ticket venues that most of us do not have million-dollar salaries or thousands of dollars to spend on tickets. We just want decent seats where we can see and hear our favorite artists jam.\nBut in an age where parents are shelling out their retirement funds so that Sally or Billy can listen to 'N Sync or Brittany Spears sing for five hours, maybe I am foolish to believe that such an idea could take hold. I mean, maybe the good seats at concerts are for adults or children with\nparents who can afford them. Maybe students shouldn't expect good seats until they get older.\nI am still going to get my boyfriend good seats to that Colts game -- even if I do have to pay a little more. I just want to make sure the price is right for the quality I get.