Students wait for answers

Money yet to be refunded from canceled concert

Six months after MTV Campus Invasion Tour's Bush and Moby concert was canceled, many ticketholders still have not received refunds -- or an explanation.\nThe concert was canceled three days before the scheduled April 14 show, with no specific reasoning given and no answers for fans. \nTicketholders, who have been waiting for refunds since the cancellation, will continue to wait while a lawsuit between the William Morris Agency, which represents Bush, and local company Jason Millican Promotions plays out.\nMillican said his company is suing the William Morris Agency for a breach of contract and conversion resulting from the agency canceling the show. But he said the parties are working on a settlement in the meantime because "realistically you never know how long it's going to take if you go to trial."\nMillican's lawyer, Thad Kelley of the law firm Kelley, Belcher and Brown, said the complaint will be heard in a federal court.\n"We filed a complaint, which is a lawsuit, in Monroe County court and the defendants moved it to federal court in Indianapolis," Kelley said.\nA spokesman from the William Morris Agency said they would not be available for comment for two to three weeks.\nMillican said Pretty Polly Productions was working with the William Morris Agency to bring the bands to Bloomington. He said he gave Pretty Polly's Howard Cusack, who books bands, the money to line up Bush and Moby. \nMillican said Bush and Moby used Cusack as an excuse for canceling the show, claiming the bands didn't get paid and, in turn, refused to play.\nCusack denied having anything to do with the canceled concert deal and said this should be long forgotten. He said he thought everyone settled the matter out of court and was unaware of the lawsuit.\n"I don't have anybody's money," he said. \nMillican said he is disgusted by what he calls the money-hungry nature of the industry and said he wants out of the business for good.\n"I want to apologize to all the students, faculty and deans for any harm I have caused," Millican said. "Everyone can rest at ease, my concert-planning days are over."\nTyrone Morris, executive representative of Rock 'n' Roll Productions, the investment company Millican hired, said local competitors and other unnamed parties didn't want the concert to happen. He said he tried to persuade the band to perform even after the cancellation.\nMillican said he told Bush would pay them all the money up front if they would still perform. He said he had already paid 75 percent of the costs, which is an unprecedented amount.\nHe said Rock 'n' Roll Productions was in charge of refunds. \nMorris said he is waiting on the settlement to come through before giving refunds to ticketholders. \n"I want to make this up to the fans," Morris said. "Within the next two weeks, I will be releasing information about the current situation with the lawsuit. I will also give the fans a time frame for when they can expect a refund."\nMillican said there was controversy about who would be headlining the April concert. After tickets for the show had already been put on sale in April, event co-sponsor Phi Delta Theta fraternity announced that Rage Against the Machine would appear at the concert along with Bush and Moby. \nMillican said he went through Jeremy Larner at J.L. Entertainment to bring in the band.\nAfter the announcement, Rage Against the Machine publicly denied ever being committed to the show. \n"Larner is a personal friend of the band members. He told me that they were very interested in doing the show," Millican said. "The problem was that everyone was too anxious to announce the show on campus. I never had Rage booked, we were in negotiations. When we announced Rage as a headliner, not only did the band say it was premature, but Bush got angry as well that we were considering another headliner."\nLarner said he has done a lot of shows with Millican in the past but was shocked when Rage Against the Machine was announced as a headliner.\n"I never said I was friends with the band," Larner said. "I know some people who know their people and was helping Jason get the band. Their agents said they might be interested but nothing was ever booked"