Solo album proves Iommi\'s still got it

Tony Iommi can make anyone sound good. With Black Sabbath finally broken up, again, the former lead guitarist has embarked on a new adventure: a Santana-esque solo project featuring well-known names in rock and heavy metal.

Iommi
Iommi
Divine Records

The self-titled first album is a far cry from being just another Sabbath album. In fact, Iommi gives the guitarist a chance to shine above the glitz and glamour that surrounded the trailblazers of heavy metal. While the album is devoid of many extended guitar solos, it gives Iommi a chance to explore his own talent with a variety of vocal talents. To give credit where credit is due, Ozzy Osbourne was a highly influential part of the success that was Black Sabbath. But Iommi proves that the heart and soul of the once megastar band lie in Iommi\'s extraordinary ability to create great metal riffs. Osbourne and Iommi reunite for one track, "Who's Fooling Who." It is nostalgic to say the least, with Osbourne moaning lyrics over a haunting and hard-hitting guitar riff. Like most Sabbath tracks, the song is energetic and frightening all at once. It is nothing short of a reunion track. "Black Oblivion" proves two things. First, that Billy Corgan will have no problem finding work now that the Smashing Pumpkins are calling it quits. He shows that his talents (on both lyrics and guitar) can meld with sounds other than just those of the Pumpkins. Second, that Iommi can, when he wants, really explore his instrument de jour. The eight-minute-plus track features Iommi's only extended guitar solo as he delves into alternate dimensions, away from just the crunch-and-grind that make up most of the tracks. Other notables that appear on Iommi include David Grohl of the Foo Fighters on "Goodbye Lament," Serj Tankian of System of a Down on "Patterns" and the infamous Billy Idol on "Into the Night." Iommi has shown that even after all these years he is still at the top of the game in heavy metal. He's obviously still collecting on the soul he sold for rock 'n' roll.