Redsteppers channel school spirit on the field

Energetic dancers support the team through good, bad

It's 4 p.m. Women wearing snug black pants with flared legs wander into the Gladstein Fieldhouse in groups of two and three, joining the rest of the group in a jumble on the floor. As more women file in, the noise level in the fieldhouse rises and the reverberation of the echo makes the chatter nearly indecipherable. \n"Alpha block, please!" says Janis Cooper Parker, Redsteppers' coach, addressing the dancers. The women switch on a tape and begin to stretch and twist themselves into contortions resembling pretzels, warming up to a Dave Matthews Band song.\nBut the mellow music doesn't play for long -- after a few minutes, a tape of the Marching Hundred's music is slipped into the player, and the Redsteppers come to life. Their moves are swift and completely in unison. After watching for a while, it seems they become one unit rather than 22 separate dancers.\nThe Redsteppers have been busy practicing a new dance for this weekend's Homecoming game, when they will perform with the Marching Hundred.\n"I think Homecoming is a time where the fans come out and really show their support," said Redstepper Laura Coulter, a freshman. "It is also a time where students can come out and show their pride in the University. I think we help the football team by showing our support. We excite the fans, which in turn gets the players fired up."\nThe Redsteppers are an auxiliary section of the Marching Hundred. Each week, they learn a new dance routine to perform at the pre-game and half-time shows of every home football game. When the Redsteppers are not performing, they stand in the loudest cheering section in the stadium.\n"We never sit down during the entire game," Cooper Parker said. "Our chants and cheers are much appreciated by the team, as pointed out to us by head coach Cam Cameron. Our support is particularly felt each year when we travel to one away game."\nThis year the Marching Hundred traveled to Northwestern with the team. Despite the loss, the Redsteppers continue to offer their support to the team. \n"The Marching Hundred has built a wonderful relationship with the football team in the last four years," said senior Annie Neuendorf, captain and four-year Redstepper. "Cam Cameron has invited us numerous times to perform for the football team before a game, and the team seems to really enjoy it. Although they cannot watch us during halftime, they are always very thankful for our support. School spirit is such an easy gratification; not only is it fun to dance and support the team, but also to be involved in as much of this college experience as possible."\nMany Redsteppers said a nostalgic feeling overcomes them while on the field.\n"After four years of being a Redstepper, I can dance the school song in my sleep, yet I still get nervous at the beginning of every game," Neuendorf said. "It is a complete adrenaline rush to have 300 band members playing the school song behind me and when I look around the crowd, all I can do is smile and sometimes laugh at all the things football fans will do"