world

Peru's election secure so far

Peruvian president returns from meeting with secretary of state

Peruvian President Alberto Fujimori is back home after meeting with Secretary of State Madeleine Albright. His trip to Washington followed rumors of a plot to stage a coup that began circulating through Peru's Congress.\nHe was in Washington to meet with the Organization of American States General Cesar Gaviria. Fujimori met with Albright Friday, when she applauded his decision to call for early elections. Albright urged him to make all the arrangements for the early inaugurations of a new government, according to the State Department's press briefing. She reiterated the United States' support of democracy and democratic reform in Peru. \nFujimori didn't express any worries about his political future in the short term during the meetings, the briefing said. Richard Boucher, spokesman for Albright, said the conversation was about how to make sure the OAS process is implemented fully, and that next year's elections are free, fair and credible.\nDemonstrations have continued in the streets of Lima since Fujimori announced Sept. 16 that new elections would be held in six months, the State Department's Web site said. The announcement was made in the wake of a scandal surrounding a videotape allegedly showing former chief of Peru's National Intelligence Service, Vladimiro Montesinos, bribing an opposition lawmaker. According to The Associated Press, Montesinos has been granted asylum in Panama.\n"There is a chance for democracy," said Charles Walker, an associated professor of history at the University of California at Davis, who has written several books on Peru. "The United States needs to put as much pressure possible on Peru and call for early elections. I don't think it's possible for a (coup) to happen."\nRichard Stryker, the executive associate dean of International Programs and an associate political science professor, said the transition will be difficult. The question of who will replace Fujimori is also still in doubt. \n"Former presidential candidate Alejandro Toledo was an impressive candidate," he said. "It is going to be difficult for any candidate to come in. Military backing is important," he said.\nHe also said winning Peruvian military support might prove difficult in an army where all the generals are rumored to be hand-picked by Montesinos. \n"There are a lot of military people who are hard line and oppressive. However, it is very racially divided," Stryker said.\nThe State Department issued a travel warning Sept. 22, stating that current events "have the potential to disrupt normal functions throughout Peru and to be used by political parties to stage additional marches and demonstrations. While marches and demonstrations in recent months have been largely peaceful, they have the potential to to turn violent."\nRumors of a coup have been circulating throughout the South American country. Peruvian Congressman Miguel Mendoza announced he was quitting Fujimori's Peru 2000 party last week. \n"I am denouncing that a group of congressman from Peru 2000 have been pressured to sign letters of resignation, prepared in the army's high command, to form a congressional group in favor of Vladimiro Montesinos," he said. \nHe added the purpose "would be to promote disorder within Congress and throughout the country to unleash generalized chaos and carry out a coup d'etat within 20 days"