Panel explores risks faced by sororities

A 19-year-old sorority woman attends a formal dance held in Chicago. She consumes too much alcohol and dies. Who should be held liable for her death?\nThis case was presented in a mock trial format to IU sorority women in a seminar called "Something of Value." The seminar, sponsored by the Panhellenic Association, was an all-day event held Saturday at Wittenberger Auditorium.\nK J Powell, team leader and coordinator of the program said the National Panhellenic Council started offering the seminar to chapters four years ago. They now have presented 10 programs across the country. The programs are tailored to the social environment of each university. Issues addressed range from sisterhood to underage drinking.\n"The goal is to find an action plan to decrease consequences of risky behavior," Powell said. "It's to create a safer environment for our chapter members. These greek women are ready to talk about these issues. The hard part is implementing and encouraging them to follow it."\nPowell said the success of the program varies with each campus. There were some campuses that implemented a non-alcohol policy after the program. The sorority women of one university burned their fake IDs and eliminated drunken serenades.\nStan Sweeney, greek adviser, said he is optimistic about the program.\n"My hope is that after this program the women are empowered to address these issues," he said. "They do have a voice, and they have a power to confront and a power to care -- that's what it's about."\nThe executive board of each chapter attended the seminar, along with two sophomores and two juniors from each house.\n"We brought them together to help them identify what are the values of being in a sorority, and to help them realize what is important about being a member," said Jaime Hockensmith, a senior and vice president of risk management for Panhellenic Association. \nThe event consisted of a mock trial, which was facilitated by a lawyer. Later in the day the women were grouped in break-out sessions where they identified risky behaviors and a plan of action to eliminate those behaviors. A member of PHA and a national representative facilitated the break-out sessions. Each group was responsible for creating a plan of action for the risky behavior they identified. \nFraternity men did not attend the event.\n"This event is to unite us, and it is a way for us to get together as women," Hockensmith said. "It's intimidating when the men are here, and this program only works with honesty."\nSweeney said he believes the fraternities will follow the decisions of the women if they still want to have functions with them.\n"It's not a control issue-- it's about protecting your members," he said.