Multi-talented football player finds home on offense, defense

His picture in the 2000 Hoosier football media guide says it all. Under position, sophomore Kris Dielman is listed as a defensive tackle. In the picture alongside his career statistics, Dielman is hauling in a reception as a tight end.\nSuch is the life of Dielman, who plays both defensive tackle and tight end for IU. He is getting the job done on both sides of the football. After four games, Dielman has helped the Hoosiers (2-2, 1-0) contain the running game with four unassisted tackles. At the same time, Dielman has helped the running game with his solid blocking and has chipped in a touchdown reception.\nLast season, he worked strictly as a tight end. He finished his freshman year with five receptions for 109 yards and a touchdown while playing behind junior Craig Osika. Although Dielman didn't see much time at tight end in high school, he made the adjustment with ease.\n"In high school, I played tight end and linebacker," he said. "When they told me I was going to play tight end in college, it wasn't that bad."\nWhen the coaching staff moved Osika to center, Dielman might have thought his time at tight end would be increased. But by the time spring practice was in full swing, coach Cam Cameron had other ideas.\n"It was really from the beginning going back to spring practice," Cameron said. "He's 290 pounds, and we recruited him at 240. It started when we thought it would be a good move to help our defense to move him to defense."\nIn the spring, Dielman was aware the coaches had an idea about moving him. The development of sophomore tight end Bobby Brandt made the idea more feasible.\n"It all kind of happened once spring ball came up," Dielman said. "They just started asking me about me moving over to defense."\nAlthough he might have liked his chances of becoming the starter at tight end, Dielman made no complaints when the switch was made.\n"I didn't mind," Dielman said. "Whatever way to get on the field, it doesn't matter to me."\nCameron was impressed with how Dielman handled the move, especially considering Cameron wanted to have Dielman's presence on both sides of the football.\n"He said he'd do whatever we needed him to do," Cameron said. "I said, 'I'd like to keep you at tight end in short yardage and goal line.'"\nJunior quarterback Antwaan Randle El said the corps of receivers he is able to throw to makes his job easier even on the ground.\n"They play a big part of the option," Randle El said. "They take pride in doing it, they know when they get a certain block."\nOn the flip side, the defense struggled out of the gates. North Carolina State and Kentucky posted 41 points on the Hoosiers. Both games were losses for IU, though the offense was scoring 36 points per game.\nDielman said there weren't any negative sentiments between the two units. Instead, the offensive and defensive teams wanted each other to do well.\nAgainst Cincinnati, the defense met the level of play of the offense in a 42-6 win against the Bearcats. The improved defensive performance was the result of the defense sticking to a basic formula of not allowing the big play.\n"We make a lot of good plays but then there's always a few plays that we mess up on, and that's where they put up points on us," Dielman said. "There's always room for improvement, and there's a lot that needs to get down. I think we're doing pretty good."\nThe other part of the improvement has been Dielman's and the rest of the defense's ability to understand new defensive coordinator James Bell's system.\n"We're to the point now where we know it and we can see things now that we couldn't see in the spring or during training camp," Dielman said. "So now there should be a lot of mistakes that we don't make any more just because we know the system."\nBy playing both ways, Dielman spends a good deal of time on the field. Still, he said he doesn't feel as if he is over-extending himself physically.\n"It's not that bad," he said with a shrug of his shoulders. "If I need a breather, they'll give me one."\nWith Dielman's presence on both sides of the ball, each unit has played well lately. Cameron said he has been pleased with Dielman's self-sacrificing attitude that continues to make the Hoosiers better.\n"If you know Kris Dielman, you know he's a special kid," Cameron said. "He's done a great job"