I have proof! America finally embraces soccer

The scene was set: thousands of screaming fans, flags waving all over the place, rhythms being blasted throughout the arena ...\nIf you said a Skynard concert, good guess. Probably what I would have said too. But you're wrong.\nIt was Crew Stadium Wednesday night. And it was then and there when I realized I had finally become a true soccer fanatic.\nAlthough the World Cup qualifying match between the United States and Costa Rica ended in a 0-0 draw, there was plenty of action, both on and off the field, to keep me satisfied. \nIt would not be fair to start this tale without setting the scene. Simply put, Crew Stadium in Columbus, Ohio is the premier soccer venue in America, hands down. Some people argue that the maximum capacity of around 25,000 is too small. But its quaintness is its strength -- there are no bad seats in the house, the fans are close enough to the field to see all the action and there are no empty seats (which can't be said for a lot of the national team games played stateside).\nThrow in a few thousand spirited Costa Rican fans, about 20,000 of "Sam's Army," hundreds of flags and banners and some beer bottles. Thanks to Miller Lite for making plastic beer bottles! Obviously someone had thought of this scenario beforehand. With all of this, you've got as good an atmosphere for a soccer match that you'll see in this country.\nI knew it was a good sign when, upon the arrival of myself and my three drum-toting cohorts, we were told by a couple of fans, "Hey! We were wondering when you'd get here." After those greetings I knew our mission was clear -- we would be partially responsible for stirring the crowd into a fevered pitch. It was a mission we proudly accepted.\nThrough the slow parts of the game, we hit those damned drums like they took our beer away. At the exciting moments, we hit them like we were possessed by Ike Turner. We led the north endzone crowd in chants of "U-S-A." We sang "Ole," not knowing whether or not it was an off-handed insult at our Costa Rican enemies. And if we had a nickel for every time we played that catchy rhythm from The Cars' classic "Let's Go," (you know, from the Enterprise Car Rental commercial) we probably could have paid the $76 towing fine we received ... but that's another story. \nEveryone in the crowd, both Americans and Costa Ricans, cheered on their team boisterously, jeered the referees and got swept up in the excitement that is international soccer. It was the best 60 minutes I've ever spent at a sporting event.\n(Author's note: I know what you're asking yourself. "But John, soccer matches last 90 minutes, don't they?") \nWell, let's just say that the Ohio Department of Transportation's utopian idea of smooth highways is a long way off -- but all the construction showed their dedication to making it happen! Then factor in Columbus' asinine interstate system, easily one of the worst in America, and some late rush-hour traffic and you miss thirty minutes of game action. \nSorry native Buckeyes, but there are only three redeeming qualities about your state: my beloved Browns, Crew Stadium and the fact that my mother was born in Toledo. Now back to your regularly scheduled soccer column ...\nWhen Ante Razov scored what would have been the winning goal two minutes into injury time in the second half, I can honestly say I've never heard a stadium erupt with such excitement. \nSeconds later, when the crowd realized the referee had whistled the play offsides, I had never seen a crowd so disappointed, upset and potentially violent (cue the beer bottles here). \nThe bad blood spilled onto the field, as American Josh Wolff, whose pass made Razov's "phantom goal" possible, slapped a beer bottle out of one of the Costa Rican player's hands, started yelling at him and then head-butted him, once the referee turned away, of course. \nAnd I guess that's why I love the sport so much -- the passion, both on and off the field. \nWednesday's game would not guarantee either team a spot in the 2002 World Cup, but you couldn't tell that from the players and the fans. Although it was just a qualifying match, you could sense the pride that both sides felt for their team, and in the sport itself.\nAnd it is that sense of pride which made me feel, for the first time, like a true soccer fan. \nWell, that and the fact that a friend and I had a serious discussion about how we could hit the Costa Rican keeper with our drumsticks while he was lying injured on the ground; that also made us feel like soccer fans. \nThe rest of the world better watch out, because Americans are finally turning into genuine soccer fanatics. It surely has taken long enough.