Groups return for 'Old School Reunion'

Alumni celebrate heritage, history with University

This weekend, members of historically black and Latino organizations past and present converged on campus to celebrate their groups' contributions to IU's institutions in the annual "Old School Reunion." \nSpearheaded by St. John's University Area Coordinator for Judicial Affairs Ruben Flores and attorney Patrice Russell, the reunion spanned the weekend, beginning Friday with participation in the Homecoming parade and culminating Sunday with a brunch.\n"The purpose of the reunion is to provide an opportunity for alumni to gather on the Bloomington campus in the spirit of renewing old friendships and our very special ties to Indiana University," Flores said.\nWorking in close collaboration with such historically diverse organizations as the Latino Unidos of IU, the Black Student Union, Diversity Advocates and numerous fraternities and sororities, the reunion committee continues to maintain close ties with IU cultural groups, Flores said. An e-mail list of more than 300 alumni allows this close relationship to continue, Flores said.\nAfter the parade at 7 p.m. Friday, reunion participants were invited to a "Meet and Greet" at Kilroy's Sports Bar on Walnut Street. A concert by the IU Soul Revue, directed by Tyron Cooper, commenced afterward in Alumni Hall of the Indiana Memorial Union.\nSaturday's events began at 7:30 a.m. with an Alumni Breakfast at the Kelley School of Business, followed by a Black Faculty and Staff Homecoming Tailgate Picnic on 17th Street. Organized by IU faculty members David Hummons and Clarence Boone, the tailgate party served as a way to enjoy the friendship of fellow alumni, Hummons said. \n "I wasn't aware this sort of thing existed on campus," said freshman tailgater Jermaine Miles. "It's a great opportunity to meet alums and learn about these groups' histories."\n Saturday's chief event was the Old School Renunion Convocation, commencing at 12:30 p.m. in Whittenberger Auditorium in the Union. The event began with a devotion led by guest speaker Sonya Roberts, followed by the presentation of a reunion video. Contemporary gospel groups under the auspices of the African American Choral Ensemble, led by James Mumford of the African American Arts Institute, also performed.\nLeukemia Foundation representatives also addressed the crowd, offering memorial tributes for deceased members of historically African-American sororities and fraternities. A social in Dunn Meadow and celebration at the Bloomington Convention Center rounded out the evening's activities.