Endowment dinner honors donors

Wednesday afternoon the IU Auditorium played host to a distinguished set of guests.\nMembers of the IU Foundation Board of Directors, volunteer chairs of the various colleges of IU and IU president Myles Brand, gathered for the yearly national endowment fund dinner. Held every fall, the dinner honors donors to IU and thanks them for their contributions. \nCurt Simic, IU Foundation president, recounted the remarkable success of the IU endowment fund in recent years. He said for the last three years IU has made great strides in increasing donations. In that time, nearly $27 million has been raised to benefit IU through Brand's income matching plan.\nThis plan is designed to directly match any faculty gifts. Simic said money raised through the income matching plan has allowed for 118 new chairs and professorships.\nWhen Brand took the podium to speak, he discussed some of the rankings that featured IU, but said there is "nothing to fear." \n"IU is a great university," he said. "Let me say that again in case you didn't hear me. IU is a great university."\nBrand said he believes a large part of that success is because of IU's generous donors. \n"IU is going forward," he said. "We're a university on the move."\nAfter the speeches, guests were treated to a performance by IU's "Broadway Cabaret," which has been performing at the endowment fund dinner for several years. Senior member Angel Cabral said that performing at the dinner is a great way of showing donors their money is used to put together fabulous programs and departments.\n"It was really good for us to perform in front of influential people like this because we need more money for the arts, and this is one way to demonstrate our potential to the very donors that could help us," Cabral said. "Also, we can show them the caliber of the program here at IU. This is a fabulous show to do for a fabulous group of people.\" \nWells Scholar Christine Pacold, a senior, said she was pleased with the night.\n"I think this is a great way to recognize all the work and dedication that goes into making this university so great," she said. "It's wonderful that the University takes the time to recognize donors and all they do for us"