Dylan to return to campus

Legendary folk artist

Robert Zimmerman, raised in Duluth, Minn., took up the guitar and harmonica at an early age. He formed his first band, The Golden Chords, by the time he was a freshman in high school.\nHe's coming to the IU Auditorium for a Nov. 1 concert.\nHe's also better known as Bob Dylan.\nUnion Board booked the folk legend, who has been on the road for nearly four decades, touring nonstop like his idol Woodie Guthrie.\n"We received word that he was looking to do a college tour," said senior Jeff Zuckerman, Union Board concerts director. \nSince Dylan has played several shows at IU in the past, Union Board jumped at the chance to bring him back. \n"It was the obvious choice for us, and the obvious choice for him," Zuckerman said.\nDylan last performed in Bloomington in 1997, the third consecutive year he played at the Auditorium before the renovations started. Union Board president Mike Gosman, a senior, said his organization was looking forward to continuing the tradition. \n"Most (current) students haven't had an opportunity to see him on campus," Gosman said. "The great thing about this show is that it appeals to so many types of people -- not only students and faculty, but people across generations."\nZuckerman said he was enthusiastic about the intimate setting of the IU Auditorium for Dylan's show. \n"You are going to be up close and personal with Bob Dylan, and you can't get that at a large amphitheater," he said. "He's going to be in his element."\nDylan has been on a whirlwind tour, with recent performances in Europe. \n"For those who might be interested in seeing a genuine musical legend, Dylan's current foray is ideal," wrote Steve Jelbert in London's The Independent about Dylan's Saturday performance. "In the way of these things, the rumor mill suggests that he's currently on form, and the chances of catching a good show are way above the traditional 2:1." \nDylan will be winding his way through the college campus circuit, making stops at the University of Wisconsin and Northwestern days before coming to Bloomington.\nSince the single "Like a Rolling Stone" made him the voice of a generation, Dylan has been touring constantly, perpetually reworking his vast back catalogue. His last recording of previously unreleased music was Time Out of Mind, which won a Grammy for Best Album of 1997.\nTickets, running at $31.50 for students and $36.50 for nonstudents, go on sale at 2 p.m. Oct. 13 at all Ticketmaster locations.