Manning follows father's footsteps

INDIANAPOLIS -- Peyton Manning is like his father in many ways on the football field. But, there is one big difference between father and son.\nThe similarities are numerous. Both were big-name quarterbacks in college. Peyton played at Tennessee while his dad Archie ran the show at Mississippi. Both Mannings were high draft picks when they entered the NFL, Peyton in 1998 and Archie in 1971. \nThis is where the similarities end, and the big contrast comes into play. Where do the two differ? Simple. Son succeeds where his father once failed.\nIn his time, Archie Manning was a good starting quarterback who spent the first 12 years of his career in New Orleans. Although he was respected around the league for the way he played, Manning and the Saints never sustained much success.\nAfter starting his first 36 games in the NFL, Peyton Manning is considered one of the best quarterbacks in the league. Beyond his own personal success, his Colts (2-1) are one of the best teams in football.\nIn his latest display, Manning carved up the vaunted Jacksonville defense for a franchise-record 440 yards passing and four touchdowns as the Colts ripped the Jaguars, 43-14 before a national television audience on Monday Night Football.\nIn all fairness to the elder Manning, he didn't have anywhere near the talent that surrounds his son. With wide receivers Marvin Harrison, Terrence Wilkins and Jerome Pathon as his targets, Manning has plenty of options he isn't afraid to go to. \nBy using all three wideouts, Manning is able to keep the defense off balance. He did just that Monday night, completing passes to six different players and having his four touchdown passes go to four different receivers.\nAfterward, Manning was pleased with how the entire offense and all of its firepower are coming together under his guidance.\n"It was good for us to show people and show ourselves that we have other weapons on offense and we can spread the ball around," Manning said. "Other teams will see that and realize that if they do try to double-team Marvin, then we can beat them with other guys."\nJacksonville coach Tom Coughlin came away from the game with a great deal of respect for Manning and his offense and how they dissected the Jaguars and their defensive scheme.\n"The Colts went all out on both sides and the points began to go on the board," Coughlin said. "Defensively, we could not stop anything."\nEven though Jacksonville actually did do a good job of containing Indianapolis running back Edgerrin James for most of the game, they still couldn't control Manning. \nAfter hitting Harrison for a 76-yard touchdown early in the game, Manning took note of the Jaguars moving their safety over on Harrison. Manning recognized the defensive adjustment and burned Jacksonville in other parts of the field.\n"It is just nice to have weapons," Manning said. "Marvin did not have as many catches as he usually does, but his presence was a big reason the other guys were getting catches."\nPollard, a six-year veteran, also saw what Manning did.\n"When they double Marvin, then you've got to go to Terrence," Pollard said. "With Terrence in there and getting him balls, he is going to make something happen." \nBeyond the skill positions, another reason why son is winning much more than his dad ever did is his offensive line. The Jaguars defensive line is amongst the best in the league, but the Colts didn't allow a sack all night. \n"I thought one of the keys to this game was if we could protect our quarterback, I thought we could throw the ball," Indianapolis coach Jim Mora said. "I thought we protected Peyton really well."\nAfter a rookie year that saw him make rookie mistakes, Manning has turned the corner much quicker than most NFL quarterbacks. The Colts won 13 games a year ago and the AFC East division before losing a divisional playoff game to the Tennessee Titans.\nThis year, Manning has already shown signs he has just gotten better as time has passed. Coughlin saw it first-hand and said the experience of playing against Manning and the Colts isn't something he enjoyed.\n"That was as bad a nightmare as it gets," Coughlin said.\nOn the other hand, Mora said he is glad to have Manning on his team. Mora also hopes the younger Manning continues to stray from the path his father carved in the NFL.\n"To be a good team you have to have people like that," Mora said.