Knight's secretary moved to new position

Personal assistant of ex-coach removed from basketball office

In a move she called a coup, former IU basketball coach Bob Knight's secretary, Mary Ann Davis will be reassigned within the University, athletics director Clarence Doninger said Thursday.\nDavis said she was forced to leave against her wishes by Doninger.\n"Clarence Doninger and (Administrative Assistant) Jeanette Hartgraves asked me to leave," she said. "They said (interim associate coach) John (Treloar) and (interim coach) Mike (Davis) didn't think they could work with me because I am a quote 'Bob Knight person.'\n"And then I heard from other sources that (coaches Davis and Treloar) said I would be a spy for coach Knight."\nSince Knight's firing, Mary Ann Davis said Davis and Treloar stayed out of the basketball office and sent student managers to get their mail in order to avoid her. After working well with Treloar and Davis in the past, the secretary was stunned by their sudden change.\n"They didn't want to look me in the eye," she said.\nDoninger said Davis is to be moved in a decision made by the current staff.\n"The coaches just wanted to have their own personnel," Doninger said. "The coaches wanted their own people. She's still with the department right now. We'll get her together with human resources and we'll work something out."\nHer new post has not been assigned yet, Doninger said.\nTreloar differed with Doninger in saying that the decision didn't fall solely upon the coaches.\n"There's no question that the direction came from the athletic department," Treloar said. "Coach Davis has wanted to bring (in his own secretary) and I don't think (the athletic department) would fund three secretaries."\nCoach Davis is out of town and unavailable for comment. He has yet to name a replacement for Mary Ann Davis.\nAlong with Mary Ann Davis, B.J. McElroy worked as a secretary in the basketball office. But McElroy will retain her position.\n"Well, I think that both Mary Ann and B.J. have worked in the basketball office over 20 years and have given a lot to the program," Treloar said. "But coach Davis is now in a position of leadership, and with that comes the opportunity to bring in his own people. It's not out of the ordinary."\nBut an attorney for Knight sees Mary Ann Davis' removal as more than a choice of personal preference.\n"I understand that she was reassigned out of the basketball office because she is too loyal to coach Knight," said Knight's attorney, Russell Yates.\nIn a conversation with Mary Ann Davis after her removal, Knight told her he was very upset that she got caught in the middle of his firing.\nDavis currently has two students at IU and plans on accepting her new position. But she said she would consider leaving if Knight coaches again.\n"I would like to stay here for my two sons," she said, "but if coach Knight does go somewhere, I would consider leaving with him."\nKnight could not be reached for comment.