Jazz Fables begins new fall season

Bear's Place, 1316 E. Third St., swung to the sounds of Jazz Fables 5:30 p.m. Thursday. The 11-year-old tradition continues Thursdays this fall with a variety of local and regional musicians gathering to jam for a dedicated and diverse crowd. \nWith its original form created in 1972, Jazz Fables has transformed over the years from a solid repertoire band to a rotating schedule of regulars. When its current setup was formed in 1989, primogenitor David Miller created a show that he said is "never the same."\nLast week the rotating ensemble celebrated its 11th anniversary with one of the original Fablers, jazz professor David Baker. Baker was the guest at the first Jazz Fables ' more than 10 years ago ' and the group performs his original compositions and arrangements when he is accompanying. \nLast week's show included Baker's original "Steppin' Out" and the Cole Porter tune "Night and Day," among others. \nThusday's show featured IU alumnus Jamey Aebersold on sax. Aebersold has a jazz history that includes the creation of the Jazz-Play-A-Long series, multiple recordings and an honorary doctorate of music from IU. \nJoining him was Associate Professor of Music Pat Harbison, Tom Rastorfer, Steve Allee, Tyrone Wheeler and Steve Davis. The group played music by Horace Silver, Wayne Shorter, Cedar Walton, John Coltrane and more. \nTypically the musicians are faculty and students who employ jazz forms from Latin to be-bop to acoustic. Occasionally they perform tributes to certain artists such as Ella Fitzgerald or Cole Porter.\nBear's is always packed and has a regular crowd of students and faculty and other Bloomington residents, Baker said. \n"People really come here to listen to the music," Miller said. \nMiller said he sees this as a "rarity for jazz players."\nThe trumpeter's personal experience includes a variety of jobs, an undergraduate degree from the University, booking experience and an overall strong love of jazz. \nBaker described Miller as one who is "always laboring in the vineyard of jazz" and has done much to keep the music alive in Bloomington. \nAs for the future of Jazz Fables, Miller said he looks forward to continued performances. He is helping to develop a supporting group called Jazz from Bloomington. The group hopes to keep jazz in Bloomington and to bring in regional and national musicians. \nMusic professor emeritus Dominic Spera, who attended last week's show, also used to be a Fables performer. He said he loves jazz and referred to it as a "musical bargain."\n"(Jazz) will never die," he said. "It's an art form. It will outlast most everything else"