Field hockey team to take on Michigan

It could be harder for IU field hockey. They could be playing one of the top three teams in the country, but instead the Hoosiers must face No. 4 Michigan at 3 p.m. today in the John Mellencamp Pavilion.\nThe Wolverines (8-1) have obliterated their opponents; outscoring them 43-12. Miami University of Ohio became their last victim, losing 10-1. Miami had beaten IU 9-0 last Saturday by outshooting the Hoosiers 44-2. Although IU suffered a lopsided defeat, coach Amy Robertson does not believe that setback will affect their chances at competing with Michigan.\n"We played Miami well for 25 minutes," Robertson said. "But once they scored, it opened all the flood gates. We're going to change things around a bit for this game. I've heard some things from other teams that will be effective against Michigan." \nIU is still winless, but winning their first Big Ten contest against last year's National Championship runner-up would be a sweet victory, especially for Robertson. The Wolverines ousted her Wake Forest team last year in the quarterfinals of the NCAA tournament when Wake Forest was expected to be a Final Four team.\nMichigan is an annual powerhouse, but IU is not completely out of this game. IU has adapted a specific game plan to matchup better. Junior Brooke Magers has not been influenced by the hype of Michigan.\n"We're not intimidated, but we're just thinking cautiously," Magers said. "We actually have a new strategy. We're going to try containing them, frustrating them, playing a lot of defense and hopefully intercept and attack them whenever we get the chance."\nAnn Arbor native, freshman Ginna Irwin is anxious about this game.\n"It's definitely going to be a challenge because they're a strong team," Irwin said. "But it will be exciting playing against my friends because it will bring out some more aggression. This is definitely our strongest opponent yet, so it will be a big change from what we're used to."\nRobertson would love a win against Michigan, but she is looking toward the bigger picture rather than the win/loss column.\n"Michigan is No. 4 in the country and will be a tough game," Robertson said. "No matter what, we will get a positive experience out of this game"