City of Bloomington offers numerous volunteer opportunities for students

It's 3:55 a.m. on a Saturday morning, and Julie Thomas should be sleeping. \nInstead, the visiting lecturer joins Bloomington Police Department investigators at the home of a domestic abuse victim, offering solace and comfort. \nThomas is part of the Onscene Advocate Program, an organization in which perpetually on-call volunteers assist the IU and Bloomington police departments in rape and domestic crisis counseling. Established under the umbrella of Bloomington's Middle Way House, services run the gamut from manning a 24-hour rape hotline to meeting victims at the hospital or in their homes. \n"These women are in dire need of assistance, and many incidents go unreported because of cultural stigma," said Thomas, a doctoral candidate in gender studies.\nNeither this program nor the numerous others that Middle Way sponsors, ranging from legal advocacy activities to transitional housing and womens' activities, could be efficient without manpower, said Amy Woods, Crisis Intervention Services Coordinator. IU students and professors account for nearly 70 percent of volunteer service, said Woods.\nIn fact, it's an experience that convinced fifth-year senior anthropology/religious studies major Charity Haines to pursue an additional degree in non-profit management.\nHaines, who began serving Middle Way House as a volunteer nearly two years ago, cites her personal interaction with rape victims as "hard on (my) emotions," but also notes the personal recompense stemming from helping women reclaim their dignity.\nBut Middle Way House is not the only organization to which students can donate their time. Many other programs exist throughout Bloomington offering several similar opportunities.

Big Brothers/Big Sisters \nThis heavily student-reliant group offers orientation for prospective volunteers once a week on a rotating basis. Touting IU student involvement as anywhere from 30 to 100 percent in various programs, Big Brothers/Big Sisters attempts to reach out through mentoring.\nAdditionally, the IU student chapter is in need of volunteers who seek leadership training before committing to a full-fledged volunteer commitment.\nFor information or to reserve space for orientation training, call Liz Grenat, Volunteer Coordinator, 334-2828. Applications are available online at www.bloomington.in.us/~bbbs.

WonderLab Museum of Science, Health and Technology \nSeeking students eager to assist in hands-on activities, WonderLab offers flexibility in scheduling and requires no scientific background. Volunteers are especially needed for the museum's Family Fun Fest, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Sept. 16 at the Monroe County Fairgrounds. Buses will be provided for IU students to work in 4-hour shifts. For information, call Jeanne Gunning, 337-1337.

Habitat for Humanity\nUnique to Monroe County since 1988, Habitat enjoys strong service commitments from its IU chapter.\nVolunteers are needed to assist with building the group\'s first handicapped-accessible home any Saturday Sept. 9 - Dec. 9. Contact Volunteer Coordinator Mary Stroup, 331-4069.

Monroe County Humane Association \nThe Humane Association is currently soliciting volunteers to cover a broad base of activities ranging from "Cat and Dog Guardian" (2-hour/week commitment) to wildlife rescue to community education (1-year minimum commitment). 333-MCHA or mcha@bluemarble.net.

Community Kitchen of Monroe County\nServing free meals six days a week, the Community Kitchen also serves Bloomington through such programs as Feed our Future, in which free meals are served to at-risk children and adolescents in the area. The Kitchen is accepting volunteer inquiries at 332-0999, or through e-mail at rjackson@bloomington.in.us.

Boys and Girls Club\nVolunteer opportunities range from tutoring to sports coaching to assisting with teen service clubs. For information, 332-5311 or e-mail bgclub@bloomington.in.us.

The IU campus also offers numerous offices to better assist students in volunteering endeavors. The Volunteer Student Bureau (VSB), an on-campus organization of more than 200 members working collaboratively with service groups in and around Bloomington, matches even the most time-constrained student with suitable volunteer opportunities.\nThe Volunteer Student Bureau also hosts volunteer opportunities fairs, group trips to various schools and hospitals and "one-shot" service events. The organization can be reached at 855-8290.