A new tactic

The United States is famous for its philosophy of valuing profits over principles, and China is famous for violating human rights. Put the two countries together and it's toxic. Something must change.\nThe Senate's vote to normalize trade with China opens the most populous country in the world to American-made products -- and American ideals. While critics argue Congress is ignoring China's egregious human rights violations, the bill might do more for human rights, particularly of women, than most think. \nThe bill allows the sale of American-made products. Along with it come ideas of capitalism and democracy, which go hand in hand. Americans love business, but it's the Chinese who stand to reap huge benefits.\nThere will be some disadvantages to trade with the nation. Businesses could further exploit their workers, and working conditions might worsen across the nation. But those are only temporary struggles. The advantages, which could take longer, could offer rising pro-democracy groups a door to reaching their goal. The days in which China could hide behind a wall are gone, and it's because of an information-based society driven by business.\nAs benefits trickle downward from corporations to the people, Chinese workers could start making demands for better wages, living conditions and treatment. A better life, in other words, might not be far away, because, as a whole, the Chinese people will see another option. It will be a fight, but democracy could happen. \nWomen in China could not possibly experience worse conditions. Chinese women are victims of unspeakable crimes. Capitalism could brighten their plight. Most likely, someone will have to make the products soon to be manufactured in China. If the labor pool is tight, companies hire women. They pay them less, but they hire them. \nFrom there, it's a snowball effect. Take our own nation's history. Women didn't enter the workforce until World War II, when companies needed workers. When the soldiers came back, the women stayed. Decades later, women are a huge presence in the workplace. They aren't paid as much, but the gap is narrowing. American women are enjoying more rights than ever before, and capitalism has helped bring about that change. It could do the same in China.\nDid the U.S. government ignore China's human rights violations in normalizing trade with the nation? Of course. But both sides can and will profit from the decision. For Americans, the benefits of increased trade will soon be evident. And the Chinese will finally experience capitalism, and see there is a better way to live.