Football could be going 'bowling'

I'm not too different from the everyday college football fan, except I get my thoughts published, so at least use me as a bathroom reader. Pick me up, read me, do your business and drop me. That's all I really want.\nBut I will try to give some insight into IU's football program while introducing you to some of the unique Hoosier personalities and breaking down the team's strengths and weaknesses. \nTo get it out of the way, I'm tossing objectivity in the can. Truth is I'm a student here and I want Cam, 'Twaan and everyone to win and go to a bowl. But I'm also willing to take a crack at any of them if they mess up. If you want to, rip or praise me by e-mail and I'll publish the brightest comments.\n Now with introductions out of the way, I have good news and bad news.\n The good news is, I think IU can go 5-0 to start the season off.\nThe flip-side is, I'm not sure if the Hoosiers can win another game after that.\nFirst, the nonconference schedule is not the easiest or hardest in the Big Ten, but IU should walk off the field against North Carolina State, Kentucky and Cincinnati winners. \nN.C. State is in rebuilding stages with a new coach and doesn't have much talent or depth. So, the Hoosiers should pounce on the Wolfpack.\nA week later, IU faces Kentucky, which has defeated IU in the last five meetings. I'm sure the boys will be pumped to end the bad roll. Kentucky has some talent, but they also have a new quarterback, freshman Jared Lorenzen.\nCincinnati might be the toughest of the first three games. Some people feel the Bearcats are bowl contenders, led by talented quarterback Deontey Kenner, who has abilities similar to junior Antwaan Randle El. Kenner and nine other offensive starters return, but Randle El and his wide receiver corps should expose the Bearcats weak secondary. If the defense can stop Kenner, IU should be 3-0 heading into Big Ten play.\nThen we do battle with the Big Ten's basement ' Northwestern and Iowa. The Wildcats are improved, but are beatable, and Iowa should be a cakewalk. \nAfter that, I'm not so sure.\nThe second half of the season begins with a trip to the Big House for a nationally televised game against Michigan. Next is a home game against Minnesota and a battle with Penn State at the RCA Dome in Indianapolis.\nThe schedule concludes with a trip to Illinois, a home game against No. 5 Wisconsin and a game in West Lafayette against Purdue.\nWe need six wins to be bowl eligible, so all we have to do is win one or two of the last six games. Since 1994, only one eligible Big Ten team has not appeared in a bowl game, IU. In 1994, the Hoosiers went 6-5, which later become 7-4 because Michigan State had to forfeit a game. But because of weak home attendance bowl committees passed up on IU.\nThe other thought that rushes through my mind is that anything is possible if we do end up undefeated going into Michigan. Last year, Illinois took out the Wolverines at Ann Arbor, which sparked the Fighting Illini program. IU could do the same this season against Michigan, giving them confidence heading into the final five games.\nMichigan, Penn State, Wisconsin and Purdue may be too tough to defeat this year. But I think on Homecoming, the Hoosiers seventh game, IU might secure its sixth win against Minnesota and then possibly a seventh victory against Illinois.\nBumping into one of the players recently, he felt 6-5 or more like 7-4 was a realistic goal, so take it for what it's worth. I can go on blabbing away, but the truth is predictions aren't worth brain cells. Games are won and lost on the field.