Alpha Sig shocked by national's eviction notice

At 3 p.m. Tuesday, members of Alpha Sigma Phi gathered in their house for a meeting with Assistant Dean of Students Jim Gibson and IU Alpha Sig Corporation Board President Steve Pitts. \nThey thought the meeting was about rush. Instead, members received an eviction notice, effective Sept. 6. \n"When they gave us the news, jaws dropped around the room," said Alpha Sig vice president and senior Brian Barnett. "Everyone handles things differently. Some guys were angry and shouting, while others were sad and crying. It was very sad and emotional."\nA press release from John Gibson, national president for Alpha Sigma Phi, announced today that a member of the national corporation board will come to IU to conduct formal rush this fall. The chapter will be returning to IU's campus this fall under a total reorganization, complete with an entirely new roster of members.\nSenior Kevin Gfell, vice president of rush for Interfraternity Council, said current members will be given alumni status and will be barred from participating in on-campus chapter events, although they have full membership rights on the national level.\n"The nationals are dissatisfied with the current members, so they are starting with a fresh house of guys," Gfell said. "They want to get rid of any negative influences."\nJohn Perry, a senior and IFC president, said the council supports the national headquarters' decision and is willing to help with recruitment efforts.\nLast fall the house was put on suspension for repeated alcohol violations. Barnett said the nationals gave the current members guidelines to follow in their efforts to be reinstated on campus. One of the guidelines was to be a substance-free house.\nAlpha Sig violated this guideline Aug. 21 when it had an event with alcohol.\n"It was a small event, and there were freshmen over at the house," Barnett said. "There was some alcohol involved. It was reported to the dean by an outside party."\nIt was the national organization's decision to evict the current members from the house. \n"We are not clear on the reasons for the eviction," Barnett said. "I believe it had to do with the event we had, but also I think it had to do with financial reasons. We were under pressure to rush a large number of guys to the house so we could afford to still live here."\nAlpha Sig members said the fraternity had many miscommunication problems with the national organization concerning the efforts for reinstatement. \n"With our chapter being revoked we can place the blame on nationals, but our chapter didn't help the situation by breaking the rules," Barnett said. "There could have been things done on our part and nationals' part to work things out. We could have been more responsible with communication, but they could have done the same thing."\nJunior John Martorana, president of Alpha Sigma Phi, said the house was surprised and confused by the action taken by nationals. \n"We are extremely disappointed with our national organization, our alums and Dean Gibson," Martorana said. "We thought they were willing to work with us, however, the nationals pulled the carpet beneath us at the last minute by revoking our chapter."\nSophomore Matt Himsel, also a member of the house, echoed Martorana's frustration.\n"We thought we could get 100 percent support from the University and nationals, but we didn't find it at nationals. They decided to go elsewhere to find brotherhood," he said.\nBarnett said he felt Dean Gibson was helpful answering questions.\n"(Dean) Gibson and Pitts were both very helpful answering questions, and they were both emotional. They were sad to let us go."\nDean of Students Richard McKaig said he is also sad to see the chapter go.\n"I am a supporter of the greek system," McKaig said. "Alcohol is a serious violation, and today nationals are closing down chapters when they do not meet their requirements."\nMcKaig said the University will help find University housing for the members who have been evicted.\n"We are deeply upset, but we do have a positive light to look at," Barnett said. "We are still brothers and we will be always brothers"