COLUMN: IU uses physicality and speed to destroy Ball State

IUFB_Ball State_6.jpg

Rhythmic voices from members of the IU football program reverberated Saturday afternoon in the hallways of Memorial Stadium.

IU Coach Tom Allen was in the locker room leading his team in the singing of “Indiana, Our Indiana,” following IU’s 38-10 home victory against Ball State.

A team rendition of the song has become a new tradition for IU when the Hoosiers win a football game. But, the jovial sounds coming from IU's players contrasted the attitude of those same people just minutes earlier, when IU used brute force and speed to blow Ball State off the Memorial Stadium turf.

From the midway mark of the first quarter to the late stages of the third period, it was all IU.

_L8I9013.jpg
Sophomore quarterback Peyton Ramsey rushes the ball up the field during the first quarter of play against Ball State on Saturday at Memorial Stadium Noble Guyon

The Hoosiers scored 31 unanswered points during that time span, putting their guests from the Mid-American Conference in their place.

Simultaneously, IU’s defense pushed Ball State around, playing tight coverage against the Cardinal wide receivers and putting pressure on junior quarterback Riley Neal. 

Meanwhile, on special teams, IU recovered from last week’s mistake-laden game by having a punt return touchdown as well as a blocked punt.

“Our one word this week was ‘dominate,’” Allen said. “We wanted to be able to dominate in all three phases.”

IU did what it was supposed to do against an inferior nonconference opponent — the Hoosiers obliterated them.

By controlling those three phases of the game, IU was able to wrap-up the win by the start of the fourth quarter.

With the game tied 3-3 and facing a 3rd and Goal from the Ball State one-yard line to start the second quarter, the IU offensive line flexed its muscles. Freshman running back Stevie Scott practically walked into the end zone to give IU its first lead of the day on this play, which signaled the way IU would dictate the line of scrimmage throughout the game.

If leverage gave IU its first lead, then highlight-reel playmaking put the Hoosiers out of sight.

Senior wide receiver J-Shun Harris is the best story on an IU team full of likeable characters. He’s suffered three torn ACLs during his IU career, yet he’s made a comeback each time.

His most recent return from last year’s torn ACL officially came during the season opener at Florida International, but his spiritual return came Saturday when he took a Ball State punt 86 yards for a touchdown.

“He’s as great a person as he is a player,” Allen said. “He deserves everything that he gets, and I’m so proud of him.”

Harris evaded no fewer than eight Ball State defenders on his journey to the end zone, and he was able to score with ease thanks to blocking from wide receivers Ty Fryfogle and Chris Gajcak.

“It felt awesome seeing all those guys at the end,” Harris said. “It was almost like a wall of them guiding me to the end zone. Once I finally got into the end zone, it was a party.”

In similar fashion to IU’s first touchdown, sophomore quarterback Peyton Ramsey’s five-yard touchdown run and freshman running back Ronnie Walker’s 18-yard score were made possible by IU’s big men clearing the way.

Walker managed to show his authority during his touchdown, though, by lowering his shoulder to level a Ball State defender four yards from the endzone.

Scott capped IU’s scoring with the most physically imposing play of the day. He took not one but four Ball State defenders into the end zone with him from 11 yards out.

All the while, the Hoosier defense seemed to intimidate the Cardinals.

IU’s defensive backs played compact coverage against Ball State's wide receivers, and the front seven also managed three sacks against Neal.

It was the most sacks by IU since last season’s Senior Day win against Rutgers.

“I thought we stood up,” senior safety Jonathan Crawford said. “Finished the game.”

Pace and power gave IU the victory Saturday, and even after the game ended, the Hoosiers stayed in rhythm.

@cdrummond97

cpdrummo@iu.edu