student life

Dining locations offer new nutritious options this month

IU Bloomington Picture 10.jpg

IU students looking to try new foods are in luck. 

Residential Programs and Services is increasing its healthy food options for National Nutrition Month through free samples at all dining locations, a plant-based takeover at Goodbody Eatery and a farmers market at the Indiana Memorial Union, according to Rachel Noirot, a registered dietitian for RPS Dining Services .

"We just want to have students try new things," said Noirot. "We don't want students to get bored."

Originally established as National Nutrition Week in 1973, the observance expanded to the entire month of March in 1980 as nutrition became increasingly popular with the public. 

Dining Services is sampling new foods every Wednesday through March. This Wednesday's dishes include a vegetable vindaloo at the Bookmarket Eatery, lemon herb quinoa salad, and pistachio and apricot couscous.

Noirot said some of these recipes are items RPS has previously sold but wants to highlight, while others are IU chefs’ new creations. 

Junior Claire Burdette, an intern for the IU Office of Sustainability who worked closely with Dining Services on the nutrition month agenda, said the samples might encourage students to purchase healthy foods they might not have otherwise known about.

"If I see something and I don't know what it's like, I'm not as willing to spend my money on it," Burdette said. 

She said she hopes to incorporate students' favorite recipes from the sampling into the RPS menu system. 

Noirot noted edamame, a nutritious green bean sold in Wright Food Court’s salad bar, as a food students would likely overlook if they hadn’t previously tried it.  

"We want to have college students in general, whether they're vegetarian or not, incorporate more produce into their diet," Noirot said. 

Dining Services is organizing a farmers market from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. March 28 at the IMU where people can buy fresh, locally produced items. 

On Wednesday and Thursday this week, Forward Food, a culinary training organization associated with the Humane Society of the United States, is partnering with IU chefs to sell international plant-based dishes at the Goodbody Eatery. 

Since the organization's executive chef opened the first all-vegan dining hall at the University of North Texas in 2007, Forward Food chefs have worked with universities, amusement parks, military bases and healthcare operations around the world to help food service operators diversify their menus.  

Jennifer DiFrancesco, culinary specialist at the organization, said the recipes being featured this week were customized to suit IU's vision for a plant-based takeover. 

Wednesday's Latin American theme will present pulled "pork" tacos made with jackfruit, Mexican spiced cauliflower rice and "chicken" enchiladas made with a soy product. Thursday's Thai theme will showcase a ginger and garlic noodle bowl and spicy red curry green beans. 

DiFrancesco taught a two-day nutrition workshop to chefs at Collins in October. 

The training was coupled with student sampling and feedback surveys, one of which DiFrancisco saved for its A-plus rating written in bold. 

IU has since incorporated some of Forward Food's dishes, including an edamame rice shaker salad and santa fe wrap, into its permanent offerings.

"We're seeing a lot of people wanting to incorporate more plant-based options for a variety of benefits," DiFrancesco said. 

These benefits include chronic illness prevention, accommodations for allergies, environmental sustainability and animal welfare. 

By exploring new dishes from IU chefs, Noirot said students can explore ideas for when they begin cooking themselves. 

People can also access Forward Food's website for a free, downloadable cookbook of plant-
based recipes.

"New foods can be scary," Noirot said. "But the more foods and variety you have in your diet, the greater depth of nutrition you'll have."