Graduate transfer Nick Linder joins IU football program

A rainbow stretches over Memorial Stadium after heavy rain during the game against Charleston Southern on Oct. 7, 2017. IU opens the season at home Saturday night against Virginia. 

Nick Linder, a graduate transfer from the University of Miami, will join the IU football program for the 2018 season, an IU athletics release announced Wednesday.

Linder is an offensive lineman who made 26 starts for Miami, although he sat out the 2017 season after he decided to transfer from the school.

Of those starts, 22 were at center during his sophomore and junior seasons, while four were at left guard as a freshman in 2014.

He started all 13 games of Miami's 2015 season at center. 

Linder has one year of eligibility remaining and will be eligible to play at IU immediately.

"Nick Linder had a very strong career at Miami, and we are excited to welcome him to our football program," IU Coach Tom Allen said in the release. "He will be completing his master's degree through the Kelley School of Business, and he will be an important addition to our football team."

Linder, who is 6 feet 3 inches and 300 pounds, will add depth to an offensive line group for the Hoosiers that returns each of its starters from last season.

During the 2017 campaign, freshman Harry Crider and sophomore Hunter Littlejohn saw time at center.

Before Linder chose not to play in 2017, he started the first nine games of the 2016 season for the Hurricanes before suffering a season-ending shoulder injury.

Linder graduated from St. Thomas Aquinas High School in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, making him the 21st player on the IU roster who graduated high school in Florida.

He played in the Under Armour All-American game while in high school and his brother, Brandon, is the current starting center for the NFL's Jacksonville Jaguars. 

Cameron Drummond