student life

Cook in your dorm with these three recipes

Chocolate cake in a mug is an easy way to fulfill any chocolate cravings. It only needs four ingredients and can be prepared in your residence hall.

Although Residential Programs and Services offers 21 dining locations at IU, sometimes it’s too much trouble to change out of pajamas and walk to the dining hall. Whether you’re running late to class or just want a quiet moment to yourself, cooking inside your dorm can be a cheap, easy alternative to navigating the dining halls.

Here are three easy recipes that can be made inside a dorm room using RPS-approved appliances. RPS bans appliances that have an open-coil heat source, which includes things like grills, hot plates and toaster ovens. Crockpots are also prohibited. 

Instead, you can use a microwave, coffee machine (we used a Keurig) and an iron to prepare each of these recipes in 10 minutes or less. Plus, each recipe can be prepared with ingredients that can be purchased at most RPS C-Stores.

Recipes

Chocolate cake in a mug

Six tablespoons of chocolate cake mix 

One tablespoon of water

Two tablespoons of applesauce (unsweetened works best)

Two tablespoons of chocolate chips (optional)

Mix cake mix, water and applesauce with a fork in a microwave-safe mug until the batter is smooth. Stir in one tbsp. of chocolate chips if desired, and sprinkle the rest over the top. 

Microwave the batter for one minute. After allowing the mug to cool for a few minutes, dig in.

Grilled cheese sandwich à la iron

Two slices of bread

Two slices of cheese of your choice (American cheese works well)

One tablespoon of butter or margarine, OR one tablespoon of mayonnaise

Aluminum foil

Heat an electric iron to medium heat. Do not use the steam function if your iron has one. 

Spread the butter across one side of both slices of bread. Place the cheese between the bread slices, with the butter facing outward. Wrap the sandwich in a single layer of aluminum foil.

Place the wrapped sandwich on a cutting board or heat-safe surface. Lay the iron on the sandwich for about four minutes per side. Check the sandwich occasionally to see whether it’s done.

Allow the sandwich to cool and slice it in half.

Keurig oatmeal

¼ cup of oatmeal

Six ounces of water

One sliced banana, peanut butter, blueberries or other preferred oatmeal dressings

Put oatmeal in a mug and place under the Keurig’s spout. With no K-Cup in the Keurig, select the smallest brew option (six ounces).

Once the water has brewed, stir the oatmeal and let it sit for two to three minutes.

Add your favorite oatmeal additions. We used banana slices and peanut butter.