sports women's basketball

Women’s basketball gets local recruit

Sports Filler

IU women’s basketball Coach Teri Moren has stayed close to home for her latest recruit.

On Nov. 30, it was announced that junior Jorie Allen from Bedford North Lawrence High School in Bedford, Indiana, had verbally committed to play for the Hoosiers.

Allen will be the first recruit from the state of Indiana for Moren this year. The three most recent signees in the Hoosiers’ 2017-18 class — Grace Berger, Chanel Wilson and Aleksa Gulbe —all hail from Kentucky, Georgia and Latvia respectively. 

The six-foot one Allen will look to bring a combination of size and athleticism that Moren has been looking for. Midway through her junior season, Allen has already eclipsed the 1,000-point mark to go along with 554 rebounds, 96 assists, 75 steals and 58 blocks in her high school career. 

She has been a starter for BNL since her freshman year, during which she averaged 16.1 points and 8.1 rebounds. She followed that up with a sophomore season that saw her increase those numbers to 17.7 points and 10.3 rebounds.

The junior will follow in the footsteps of her older sister, Jenna Allen, who also plays in the Big Ten Conference for Michigan State. As a junior, Jenna is averaging 6.5 points and 5.0 rebounds for the Spartans so far in 2017.

Jenna originally committed to IU three years ago, but changed her mind after then-IU Coach Curt Miller resigned. 

Murphy Wheeler