sports volleyball

Volleyball coach Sherry Dunbar-Kruzan's contract not renewed after 11 seasons

Former IU volleyball Coach Sherry Dunbar-Kruzan walks to greet the Southeast Missouri State University head coach before the Indiana Invitational in 2014 at Assembly Hall. Dunbar-Kruzan's contract will not be renewed after coaching 11 seasons at IU.

Last Saturday was IU volleyball’s last match of the season. 

One week later, after finishing the season 12-20 overall and 1-19 in conference play, IU Athletic Director Fred Glass announced in an IU Athletics release he did not renew IU Coach Sherry Dunbar-Kruzan’s contract.

Dunbar-Kruzan took over as head coach of the IU program in 2007. During her 11 years, she accumulated an overall record of 162-196 and a conference record of 56-165. 

She took the team to the NCAA Tournament in 2010, where the Hoosiers advanced to the Sweet 16, but that was the only time in her IU career the team got a bid to the tournament.

Dunbar-Kruzan said in the release she was fortunate to be able to know and coach all her players and that she wishes the team the best for the future. She also said she is looking forward to her next challenge.

“We thank Sherry for her many positive contributions to Indiana University,” Glass said in the release. “She has been committed to her students and dedicated to the community, and we wish her well in all of her future endeavors.”

The search for Dunbar-Kruzan's replacement has begun is being led by Senior Associate Athletic Director and Senior Woman Administrator Mattie White.

In the meantime, assistant coach Paul Koncir will serve as the interim head coach for the team, effective immediately, until a new head coach is hired.

Dylan Wallace