Trio of Hoosiers named to Associated Press All-Big Ten First Team

Junior wide receiver Simmie Cobbs Jr. attempts to run the ball before being tackled by Charleston Southern during the Oct. 7 game at Memorial Stadium. Cobbs was one of 11 Hoosiers that have agreed to an NFL deal this offseason.

The Associated Press All-Big Ten First Team was released Wednesday, which featured three IU football players.

Junior wide receiver Simmie Cobbs Jr., senior kicker Griffin Oakes and senior linebacker Tegray Scales picked up the honors.

Cobbs had eight receiving touchdowns in 2017 for IU to go with 841 receiving yards. He had one game with multiple receiving touchdowns, a two-touchdown performance Oct. 28 at Maryland.

In addition, Cobbs had three games this season in which he had more than 100 receiving yards. Cobbs was IU's primary receiving target in 2017, following a 2016 season in which Cobbs played only one offensive snap due to a suspension and an injury.

Oakes was also named the Big Ten Bakken-Andersen Kicker of the Year this season. He made 16 of 17 field goal attempts in 2017 and converted 38 of 39 extra point attempts. Both of his misses came on blocked attempts.

His longest made field goal of the season was a 51-yard kick against Virginia in the second week of the season.

Scales finished his IU career with an 89-tackle season for the Hoosiers. He recovered two fumbles and had six sacks as well.

Cobbs is the only player with eligibility remaining, although he went through Senior Day festivities Nov. 18 against Rutgers.

Cameron Drummond