Cobbs, three others earn All-Big Ten honors on offense

Senior quarterback Richard Lagow passes the ball to junior wide receiver Simmie Cobbs Jr. during the Old Oaken Bucket game against Purdue Nov. 25 in West Lafayette, Indiana. Cobbs and 10 other Hoosiers will compete in IU's pro day on Tuesday. 

Junior wide receiver Simmie Cobbs Jr. was named First Team All-Big Ten by both coaches and the media, the conference announced Wednesday.

Cobbs finished second in the conference in receptions with 72 and finished the season with 841 receiving yards and eight touchdowns. Cobbs had over 1,000 receiving yards as a sophomore in 2015 but was injured in his first appearance of the 2016 season and obtained a medical redshirt for 2016.

From the opening game of the 2017 season, Cobbs excelled at receiver. He caught 11 passes for 149 yards, both season highs, against then-No. 2 Ohio State in a loss. Cobbs made at least four catches in all but two games during the season. In last Saturday's finale at Purdue, he had 105 receiving yards and a touchdown.

Three other Hoosiers picked up honorable mentions for the All-Big Ten offensive team. Junior wide receiver Luke Timian, junior offensive lineman Wes Martin and senior tight end Ian Thomas were each recognized by the conference.

Timian, who received a scholarship at the start of the season, finished right behind Cobbs and was third in the Big Ten with 68 receptions for the season. Timian had 10 catches in the Ohio State opener and 13 catches for 91 yards and a touchdown at Maryland in October. He finished his junior year with 589 receiving yards and a pair of scores.

Martin has played in 38 games the past three seasons at left guard. Thomas, meanwhile, was slowed by injuries through most of the 2017 campaign but still finished second on the team with five receiving touchdowns and added 376 receiving yards as a red zone threat.

Jake Thomer