Breaking   Former IU chancellor Ken Gros Louis dies | 20 hours ago

sports   |  men's soccer

Muse and Panchot pick up men's soccer awards

iumssf10

Junior midfielder Austin Panchot dribbles the ball against South Florida on Sept. 3 at Bill Armstrong Stadium. Panchot and IU freshman goalkeeper Trey Muse were given weekly honors by the Big Ten Conference on Tuesday afternoon. Bobby Goddin Buy Photos

After two wins last week, the Big Ten Conference recognized IU junior midfielder Austin Panchot and IU freshman goalkeeper Trey Muse for their performances on the pitch.

Panchot received the Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week award. He is the second Hoosier to receive the award this season. The junior, as a substitute, scored the lone goal in No. 1 IU’s 1-0 victory over then-No. 7 Notre Dame on Tuesday. 

Panchot also tallied two assists in a win against Santa Clara on Saturday night. The St. Louis, Missouri, native was also named to Top Drawer Soccer’s team of the week.

Muse was named the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week. The freshman goalkeeper has started all 10 matches for IU this season. He has recorded eight shutouts and has allowed just two goals. 

Last week, Muse made three saves in two matches. This season, the most saves the freshman has had to make in one match was five against then-No. 18 Michigan. Currently, the Hoosiers have a shutout streak of 419 consecutive minutes. The award was Muse's first career weekly recognition.

The Hoosiers return to action at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday to face Evansville at Bill Armstrong Stadium.

Josh Eastern

More in Men's soccer