Men's soccer dominates, settles for draw at No. 5 Maryland

iumssf8.jpg

After controlling possession and not allowing a single shot on target, IU men’s soccer left College Park, Maryland, with just one point after drawing No. 5 Maryland 0-0.

The Hoosiers had numerous chances to score throughout the game, but couldn’t convert from the final third of the pitch and were forced to settle for a tie. 

Freshman attacker Mason Toye had the first chance of the game for IU in the sixth minute when he found some space in the box after a corner kick was cleared. Toye chose to dribble up deeper into the box instead of striking the ball first time, and his shot was saved comfortably by Maryland sophomore goalkeeper Dayne St. Clair.

In the beginning of the first half, Maryland kept possession along its back line and tried to spread the field to open up passing lanes. The tactic was shut down by the Hoosiers’ midfield, anchored by junior midfielder Francesco Moore.

Freshman attacker Griffin Dorsey had two opportunities to get an assist for IU after splitting the middle of the field and laying it off for both Toye and junior midfielder Rece Buckmaster. Both efforts were cleared by Maryland’s defense, which was a frequent trend throughout the night.

IU showcased its dominance in the second half, as the Hoosiers controlled possession for most of the period and started to chip away at the Terrapin defense. Buckmaster and junior defender Andrew Gutman each fired their own long shots in the middle of the second half, but both of their efforts rocketed wide of goal.

The regulation time of 90 minutes couldn’t settle the match, so the game headed to overtime where a golden goal would have decided the game. Junior midfielder Jeremiah Gutjahr and Gutman both had volleys that were on target, but St. Clair made two diving efforts that kept the game alive.

The final whistle blew after 110 minutes, and IU was forced to come away with one point against a top five team on the road. IU outshot Maryland 14-7 and had 12 corners versus Maryland’s three.

The Hoosiers will return home to action on Wednesday night against Big Ten foe Maryland. The team is still undefeated at 4-0-1 and will look to build on that record next week.

Michael Ramirez