Freshman Dorsey honored by Big Ten

Sports Filler

IU freshman midfielder Griffin Dorsey was named the Big Ten Conference Offensive Player of the Week on Tuesday.

Dorsey started each of the first two games of the regular season this past weekend in South Bend, Indiana, in the Mike Berticelli Memorial Tournament. He scored the game-winning goal in extra time in the 100th minute against San Diego Sunday, helping the Hoosiers start 2-0 for the second-straight season. 

The Evergreen, Colorado, native has already carved out a role for himself early in his IU career. He found his offensive stride as he fired at goal once against Cal Poly and four times against San Diego. 

Dorsey has experience playing for the Under-18 United States Men’s National Team and was a four-star recruit out of high school, according to Top Drawer Soccer. IU Coach Todd Yeagley said that, early on, he has liked what he’s seen from Dorsey. 

Dorsey is the first IU player to be named the Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week since former Hoosier Tanner Thompson received the award in November 2016.

Dorsey joins junior defender Andrew Gutman as the IU players who received honors from the opening weekend. Gutman was named to College Soccer News’ team of the week for his performances. 

The Hoosiers return to action Friday for the first time in the 2017 regular season at Bill Armstrong Stadium. They will be host to San Francisco on Friday and South Florida on Sunday in the Adidas/IU Credit Union Classic.

Josh Eastern