Maurer School of Law launches new summer program

Campus Filler

The Maurer School of Law at IU announced Tuesday a new summer program for undergraduate students.

According to an IU press release, the Summer Law Institute seeks to attract students who are interested in the latest topics in media and entertainment law and in legal analysis and advocacy.

The program will run for 10 days between May 15 and 25 in Baier Hall and the program will be open to incoming sophomores, juniors, seniors and graduates from IU.

Austen L. Parrish, the dean of the Maurer School, said students should apply whether or not they are law students. He said they would enjoy the experience as long as they are interested in the institute’s topics.

“We are pleased to offer IU Bloomington undergraduates the opportunity to experience for themselves the intersection of law, media and communications,” Parrish said in the press release.

The institute will offer students two noncredit courses. According to the press release, Hot Topics in Media and Entertainment Law will be taught by professor Joseph A. Tomain in the afternoon. Legal Analysis Communication and Rhetoric will be taught by professor Robert E. Downey in the morning. Each course will be limited to 50 students.

The program will also feature guest speakers like Ken Nunn, a Bloomington-based personal injury attorney, and John C. Greiner, a Cincinnati media and entertainment lawyer.

The fee for each course is $1,000, and there are no additional fees for course materials.

Information sessions will be offered next month at various locations on the IU Bloomington campus.

Students may enroll by visiting the course website.

Larmie Sanyon