Controversial speaker to come to IU, Franklin Hall to be locked down

Campus Filler

IU officials will step up security tomorrow night in preparation for an event headlined by the conservative social scientist Charles Murray.

Murray is known for his controversial book, “The Bell Curve,” where he states social welfare programs are designed for failure and that differences in race and ethnicity result in higher or lower levels of intelligence. He will speak at 6 p.m. in Franklin Hall, near Sample Gates.

Murray’s recent appearances at the University of Notre Dame, Middlebury College and other schools have led to protests and in some instances have led to physical violence. At Middlebury, Murray’s faculty escort was attacked while attempting to move the event to a different location to broadcast Murray’s talk, according to an article from The Boston Globe.

There is no event information on the IU Auditorium website or in any emails where public events are usually circulated. An email that went out to the political science department contained details but was not sent to all IU students.

Entry to the IU talk is free, but students must pick up tickets in the IU Auditorium box office beforehand.

The student’s name is printed on the ticket, and a lime green half-sheet of paper tells ticket holders that their passes are non-transferable. Students must bring their IU ID, and they will not be permitted to enter without the ticket they were previously issued, the information sheet says. Students cannot bring food, drink or bags of any kind.

IU Police Department will be stationed at the doors to Franklin Hall, and all doors will be locked except for the entrance next to the Student Building, according to security emails sent to the Indiana Daily Student. From 4 to 7 p.m., all students with classes in Franklin Hall will need to show ID to enter. To make sure only the pre-approved people enter the building, the names of these students will be given to IUPD before the event.

This story will be updated until tomorrow’s event.

Lydia Gerike