Noname to headline Culture Shock

Arts Filler

Chicago rapper Noname will headline this spring’s Culture Shock Music Festival, student radio station WIUX announced this weekend. Three touring acts and a handful of local bands will also perform at the annual day-long festival, taking place this year April 15 in Dunn Meadow.

Noname released her debut mixtape, “Telefone,” last year. Before that, she made her name with spots on tracks by fellow Chicagoans Chance the Rapper and Mick Jenkins.

The festival will also feature touring bands SALES, Flasher and Post Animal.

Florida’s SALES released their self-titled EP in 2016 and will perform at Sasquatch! Music Festival later this year. Flasher, a post-punk trio based out of Washington, D.C., released the single “Erase Myself” in April of last year, with a sound described by some as shoegaze meets dream-pop.

Post Animal includes guitarist and vocalist Joe Keery, who played Steve Harrington in Netflix’s “Stranger Things.”

The local bands playing will include indie rock band High Fiber, punk outfit House Olympics, and singer-songwriter Amy O, who is also of local groups Nice Try and Brenda’s Friend. Indianapolis hip-hop artists Drayco McCoy, F L A C O and Mathias Young will also perform, as will Kevin Krauther of Hoops, the local indie band that’s garnered widespread 
acclaim in the past year.

The event is free and open to members of the public across all ages. Local businesses will provide food and drink, and WIUX and Culture Shock merchandise will be available for purchase.