sports baseball

Hoosiers tie in final game in Florida

Sports Filler

With the series tied at one win apiece between IU and Florida Atlantic in Boca Raton, Florida, Sunday's deciding game was sent into extra innings after late-inning scores from both teams.

IU notched a total of 14 hits and FAU added 11 in the 11-inning matchup, but due to IU’s travel plans, the game ended in a tie at 6-6.

Junior pitcher Brian Hobbie got his second start of the season and FAU got to him early. The Owls recorded seven hits and four runs during Hobbie’s 4.2 innings.

The junior walked the first two batters of the game before giving up a 2-run double to senior Stephen Kerr. RBI singles from FAU senior Esteban Puerta and sophomore Tyler Frank in the fifth inning forced IU Coach Chris Lemonis to turn to the bullpen.

The Hoosiers played from behind when junior pitcher BJ Sabol relieved Hobbie with a 4-2 deficit. Sabol pitched 2.1 innings of scoreless ball.

Then the eighth inning happened.

IU senior Craig Dedelow cranked a solo home run and with two outs, five Hoosier batters reached base safely. After senior Tony Butler notched a 2-run single with the bases loaded and freshman Jeremy Houston blooped an RBI single in the outfield, IU had its first lead of the game, 6-5.

After sophomore pitcher Pauly Milto escaped an eighth inning jam while surrendering just one run, Lemonis stuck with the sophomore in the ninth with a 1-run lead.

FAU junior catcher Kevin Abraham skied a leadoff home run to tie the game. Milto pitched out of the ninth and sent the game into extra innings.

IU freshman pitcher Cameron Beauchamp pitched out of a tenth inning jam, and juniors Kade Kyrzsko and Brandon Kelly pitched the 11th. The Hoosiers didn’t record a hit in extra innings.

Five IU batters recorded multiple hits, including thee from freshman catcher Jake Matheny, who scored the go-ahead run in the eighth on an aggressive slide at home that jarred the ball loose.

Butler and Dedelow led the team with two runs batted in.

IU plays its first mid-week game against Cincinnati on Wednesday, as it takes its 3-3-1 record to Ohio to play the Bearcats at 6 p.m.

Taylor Lehman