Redding, Oliver declare for NFL Draft

Junior running back Devine Redding runs the ball up the field during the second half against Purdue. IU beat Purdue 26-24 on Saturday for the fourth year in a row.

IU junior running back Devine Redding and junior linebacker Marcus Oliver announced via Twitter on Friday afternoon they will forego their senior seasons in Bloomington to enter the 2017 NFL Draft.

“After submitting my paperwork to the NFL College Advisory Committee — and after a lot of thought and prayer — I have decided that now is the time for me to pursue that lifelong dream,” Redding said in a tweet. “I have decided to forego my final year of eligibility and will declare for the NFL Draft.”

Redding was All-Big Ten honorable mention in 2016 and became the fourth Hoosier in program history to rush for 1,000 yards in back-to-back seasons.

The junior recorded career totals of 2,252 rushing yards and 17 touchdowns. He rushed for a career-high 227 yards in the 2015 Pinstripe Bowl — the current Pinstripe Bowl record.

Redding also played behind former Hoosiers Tevin Coleman and Jordan Howard in 2014 and 2015. Coleman and Howard both left after their junior seasons and have found solid spots on the Atlanta Falcons’ and Chicago Bears’ rosters, respectively.

“To my IU family: I could never be who I am, on and off the field, without your willingness to embrace me as a person,” Redding said. “It’s because of you that I feel genuinely ready for the challenge of the NFL.”

Oliver was also an All-Big Ten honorable mention in 2016 and secured the IU school record for most forced fumbles in a career with 12. The junior assisted on 13 takeaways and recorded two interceptions and two fumble recoveries. In 2015, he became the first Hoosier since 2009 to record 100 tackles in a season.

“It has been an honor and a privilege to play for and be a part of the Indiana Hoosier family,” Oliver said via Twitter. “I’ve learned that playing college football is most importantly an opportunity to be a part of something bigger than myself. I am ecstatic to continue this opportunity and declare myself eligible for the National Football League.”

Both players thanked former IU coach Kevin Wilson and current IU Coach Tom Allen, and both players said Allen supports their decisions. The 2017 NFL Draft will take place Thursday, April 27, through Saturday, April 29.

Taylor Lehman