COLUMN: Tesla is much more than a car

Odds are, the only Tesla you’ve been hearing about lately is the renowned automaker that seems to be making strides. However, a Tesla vehicle isn’t the only Tesla-named subject that should be getting attention.

Nikola Tesla is an underappreciated man who, I would argue, was one of the most intelligent and intellectual humans to ever live.

Tesla was an engineer born in 1856. Without Tesla, we wouldn’t have many of the luxuries we have now. We can contribute the invention of alternating-current machinery to him.

Thank you, Tesla. I’m sure we can all relate to loving some type of technology that uses an alternating-current system.

Technically, Tesla discovered the rotating magnetic field, which, in turn, helped create the alternating-current machineries.

This discovery was the one that he is primarily known for. Unfortunately, a lot of the credit was given to Thomas Edison. Edison and Tesla worked together for a short period of time. The two scientists parted ways because of their different personalities.

We all use alternating-current electricity in our daily routines. When you plug in your laptop charger, you’re taking part in an alternating-current system.

In 1895, Tesla designed one of the first hydroelectric power plants. It, of course, had alternating-current capabilities. This same hydroelectric power plants was then used to power the whole city of Buffalo, New York. Essentially, this machine was used to create the world's first commercial electircity current. can we get some context as to what this actually meant? how many people lived in Buffalo at the time? -sm

Due to this hydroelectric power plant and its success, the alternating-current system was deemed the standard power source from that point on. It’s still the standard power source today.

A lot of the inventions that Tesla came up with, however, were credited to other scientists.

We can, though, credit Tesla for creating and popularizing the remote control and, more importantly, X-ray technologies. Yet again, another important piece of technology that we need in society exists because of the intellect and beautiful mind of Nikola Tesla.

Then the world came crashing down. Well, Tesla’s world did anyway.

Around the beginning of the 20th century, the scientist set out on his greatest adventure yet. Tesla wanted to create a worldwide wireless transmission of electricity. This, in turn, would create a global communication source — a lofty goal for 1900.

With the help of the investors, including J.P. Morgan, Tesla began working on his project in Long Island, New York.

By 1915, Tesla’s operation was completely shut down. Tesla was now in mountains of debt.

Nikola Tesla made much more progress than was he was credited for. It makes me upset that such a brilliant mind has been muffled throughout the course of time. Some would say that the Tesla name has been reduced to simply being associated with the fledgling car company.

Believe what you will. That’s none of my business.