politics

Super PAC starts organization at IU

Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump speaks to the audience Thursday evening at the Quicken Loans Arena in Cleaveland, Ohio  during his speech accpeting the Republican presidential nomination.

The nation’s largest grassroots anti-Donald Trump super political action committee announced Monday the creation of Students Against Trump at IU, according to a release.

The Democratic Coalition Against Trump, an arm of the Keep America Great PAC, said the group will educate students on the importance of grassroots outreach, like going door-to-door, in an attempt to turn Indiana blue in the general election.

“Indiana gets a reputation as a red state, but it voted for Obama in 2008,” said Nate Lerner, executive director of the DCAT in the release. “Obama was able to pull off a victory here because of high turnout by young voters. Our goal is to use Trump’s extreme unpopularity with young voters to motivate them to turn out in record numbers on 
Election Day.”

DCAT wants to close the gap between Trump and Clinton in Indiana in part through younger voters. Real Clear Politics averaged four recent polls in Indiana and reported Trump’s lead narroing to 6.5 points.

“Too many young people believe their vote doesn’t matter, but this couldn’t be further from the truth,” said Rachel Lutsky, campus ambassador for Students Against Trump at IU in the release. “College students were critical to both Obama’s victories, and poor turnout among young voters is one of the few paths to a Trump victory. Students need to understand they play a crucial role in influencing the outcome of not just this historic election, but local ones 
as well.”