FINAL: IU topples No. 17 Michigan State 24-21 in overtime

Members of the Indiana football team raise the Brass Spitoon after defeating Michigan State 24-21 in overtime Saturday night.

IU came into the game without its starting right guard and right tackle in senior Dan Feeney and senior Dimitric Camiel. Kevin Wilson announced pregame Camiel will miss “several weeks” with a back issue.

Michigan State is without its senior middle linebacker Riley Bullough.

After IU junior defensive lineman Patrick Dougherty blocked a Michigan State field goal in the opening drive, IU was unable to reach midfield on its opening drive.

On Michigan State’s next drive though, senior quarterback Tyler O’Connor threw deep to senior receiver RJ Shelton, who took the ball 86 yards to the endzone. The Spartans took a 7-0 lead after the extra point was converted.

After trading punts, Michigan State had another opportunity in IU territory, but two holding penalties and a turnover on a bad snap gave the Hoosiers the ball near midfield. Shortly into the Hoosiers’ drive though, junior quarterback Richard Lagow overthrew senior receiver Mitchell Paige in the endzone and was picked off for a Michigan State touchback.

The Spartans still led the Hoosiers 7-0 with six minutes to go in the first half.

With Paige drawing a kick-catch interference on a punt on the ensuing drive, IU took over at its own 45 with three minutes left in the half. The Hoosiers drove 23 yards on seven plays to set up junior kicker Griffin Oakes for a 50-yard field goal. The 2015 Big Ten Kicker of the Year missed the field goal, and IU remained scoreless in the first half.

Both teams had seven penalties for 60 yards, and Michigan State took a 7-0 lead into halftime.

After Oakes missed his second field goal of the night from 40 yards out, Michigan State drew out a long 7-play, 77-yard drive to go up 14-0 in the middle of the third quarter.

In response, IU opened its next drive with a 57-yard pass from Lagow to senior receiver Ricky Jones, which led to a trick play pass from Paige to Lagow, who caught the ball at the goal line for a touchdown. Oakes hit the extra point, and the Hoosiers narrowed the score to 14-7 with 52 seconds left in the third quarter.

With another holding penalty on Michigan State, the Hoosiers were able to keep the Spartans from scoring on the next drive. Michigan State punted the ball and Paige fair-caught it at the IU 10-yard line.

The Hooisers drove 90 yards down the field thanks to a 40-yard pass form Lagow to sophomore receiver Luke Timian, and Jones caught a 22-yard pass to tie the game at 14 with 8:23 to go in the game.

IU’s defense forced another short Michigan State drive, and the Hoosiers took over at their own 30-yard line. IU drove 70 yards, including a 44-yard fake reverse to junior running back Devine Redding and a 15-yard touchdown reception by Paige.

Michigan State responded with a 13-play, 75-yard drive of its own and scored on a short pass on fourth down with 11 seconds left in the game.

The game was forced into overtime, and Michigan State missed a 47-yard field goal, setting up the Hoosiers with an opportunity to win in the first overtime period.

Thanks to a leaping penalty on Michigan State, the Hoosiers had a missed field goal negated and were rewarded the ball at the Spartans’ 8-yard line. After two rushes with freshman running back Tyler Natee, Oakes set up for the game-winning field goal.

He hit the field goal, and IU defeated No. 14 Michigan State 24-21.

Final stats:

QB Richard Lagow: 16-26, 276 yards, 2 touchdowns, 1 interception, 1 receiving touchdown

RB Devine Redding: 19 carries, 100 yards

WR Ricky Jones: 5 catches, 124 yards, 1 touchdown

Taylor Lehman